The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

domain migration, subdomains not working (7 posts)

1. nulion
    Posted 14 years ago #

I recently did a domain migration, and I think it was successful (everything points in the right domain, right files, to the right database)

but the subdomains don't seem to be working. Do I need to do something else other than a database import/export and FTP the files? Maybe the wildcard DNS changes aren't registered yet?

( Sorry, I know there have been a million threads on domain migrating and nobody seems to like to help, but I did at least attempt it on my own first ;) )

PS (a seperate question): once I complete this transition, to change a blog's subdomain I just have to edit it in the WPMU backend (site admin) right?

2. richs0914
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you set the Wildcard subdomain in your Host settings?

If you're using VPS or dedicated in Apache you have to set

ServerAlias *.yourdomain.com

so that the Virtual Host knows where to go.

3. nulion
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yeah I set that, I am thinking that it just hasn't propagated yet since the subdomains aren't pointing in the right place. I was just curious if maybe I missed something else.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Maybe the wildcard DNS changes aren't registered yet?"

Depends on the hose. Usually it's pretty instant but at some places it take time.

5. nulion
    Posted 14 years ago #

I don't need to manually tell anything all of the subdomains do I? I just needed to change the TLD in the database? (all 9000 places it was mentioned)?

6. nulion
    Posted 14 years ago #

Also I just noticed this error

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: No ending delimiter '!' found in (rest of path hidden by me but looks correct)wp-includes/classes.php on line 104

EDIT: Phew! I got that specific errot figured out. Thanks loads to http://www.jtpratt.com/wordpress-preg_match-no-ending-delimiter-error-fix/
    now all I need is to figure out this subdomain issue.

7. nulion
    Posted 14 years ago #

Turns out it was indeed just that the wildcard DNS had not propagated yet. Thanks for the help anyways everyone.

About this Topic