The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Multi User Across Blogs (14 posts)

1. pshanmugam
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey Guys,

I run multiple wordpress blogs for our internal sites. When I came across Wordpress MU, I was excited that I did not have to manage multiple users and multiple blogs in different databases. My understanding is that with MU you can create one user and associate the user to multiple blogs or selectively apply to individual blogs; a simple one to many concept.

However, after installation I don't see this to be true. It looks like I have to add users to every blog. I was looking for a setup screen that shows a user and checkboxes for blogs to be associated to. Am I missing something here? or was this not the intention of Wordpress MU?

Please advice.
    Pete

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"I was looking for a setup screen that shows a user and checkboxes for blogs to be associated to. "

There isn't. No, that was not the intention behind MU.

Users are added to the system, then if you want them associated to a particular blog (as a non-admin) you have to go to that blog and add them.

3. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

As andrea_r said, it doesn't work that way out of the box. The basic use-case it was built around is the wordpress.com model where users sign themselves up and then create their own blogs. However, there are administrative controls to disable allowing users to sign up and creating their own blogs and it can then all be done administratively, but you still have to go into each blog to add the users.

But your checkbox screen idea is intriguing and if you are comfortable with PHP coding, I definitely recommend you investigate what's involved in writing a plugin to add this feature. The great thing about WPMU is the plugin architecture that let's people add features like this without modifying the core code.

4. pshanmugam
    Posted 14 years ago #

Understood. Thank you guys!

5. awarner20
    Posted 14 years ago #

+ 1 for this plugin idea. This would make things much more efficient for the MU admin.

6. AndrewGerssen
    Posted 14 years ago #

Indeed good idea, maybe I will start working on such a plug-in. I will keep you guys posted if I have something ready.

7. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

maybe I will start working on such a plug-in.

AndrewGerssen, I will sign up to test the plugin :-)

8. pipstar
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey, I'd love to hear more about the development of this plugin. I'm working on an edu site and each student is associated with more than one course specific blog... This would be so helpful!

9. jehanproc
    Posted 14 years ago #

any news on that "user management" plugin ?
    I really need that too !.
    regards .

10. fostertime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Little bump for this thread.

What I am trying to accomplish and would be very interested in a plugin doing is the following:

1. User signs up. Creates their own blog.
    2. User is automatically added to main blog as Contributor (or Author).

End result: User has their own blog, but is also able to post to the main blog.

Any ideas? Have I missed something already available for this?

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Please, no need to bump or add to existing threads. We saw your post.

And the question has been answered a lot in the forums. try google, and "add user to main blog"

12. fostertime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Anyway, to those who were unsuccessful in finding this solution:
    Check out:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/13675?replies=29#post-79782%22

And a couple plugins that will accomplish this is here:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wpmu-default-user-role/
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wpmu-new-blog-defaults/

13. tobbe_l
    Posted 14 years ago #

+1 on this one. Would be really neet with a plugin that allows an administrator to first chose another user and then on one screen bee able to choose or/and change wich blogs this user will be granted access to and which roles for each blog.

14. jehanproc
    Posted 13 years ago #

+1 again ! I would love to be able from one screen to add a user to many wp-mu blogs . any news on that feature ?
    Regards .

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by pshanmugam
  • Latest reply from jehanproc