The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Change "blogs" to "sites" (9 posts)

1. Klark123
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi, we'd like to change the word "blogs" in a few places to "sites."

Perhaps most pressing is the "My Blogs" link. But, there may be others.

Is there a way to change this text without hacking core files?

Thanks.

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm winging this as I don't have the code in front of me but I would try using a language filter to replace 'blogs' with 'sites'. Should work I would think but I haven't tried this on a single word. Maybe someone can chip in on this one.

Take a look at the codex on the regular wp site and search for language. Should be instructions on this.

3. Klark123
    Posted 14 years ago #

Great, thanks. I will look into this.

4. Klark123
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just to clarify, we want to change the word "blogs" in the WP admin, not the blogs themselves.

5. kickoff3pm
    Posted 14 years ago #

In another system I have had some success with simple search & replace across files. Make sure you set "whole word" and Caps options. Seach only for "Blogs" and "Blog" with capital B and you shouldn't hit any code.

Backup and do a test.

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Agree but the poster doesn't want to change the core files.

The language filters should be affecting both sides of the system. That's that _e() stuff you see when looking through the code.

7. Klark123
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks you for your help. I've figured out how to create a new language translation with the words customized for my installation.

However, I'd like to hear from others -- is this crazy to do?

Thanks.

8. erickjes
    Posted 14 years ago #

So did you figure out where to change "My Blogs" into "My Sites"?? I have been searching files for 3 hours trying to find it. I am stumped =/

9. Klark123
    Posted 14 years ago #

erickjes: I saw your other note; sounds like you have a solution. Could you post it?

I have something working, by basically creating a new 'language' and translating WP to use it instead of English. But, this seems like over-kill to me.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by Klark123
  • Latest reply from Klark123