The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

No visual editor, just plain text (12 posts)

1. rebootnow
    Posted 14 years ago #

The visual editor tab is not appearing in my edit post form. In other words, I can only edit the entries in plain text and none of the fancy buttons are available for rich text formatting.

Any ideas what might have happened? Is there a setting somewhere to turn this on?

I don't know if this is relevant, but I had recently imported posts from an existing Wordpress blog.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. rebootnow
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just solved my own problem. There is a per-user setting to disable the visual editor.

It actually wasn't disabled, but saving the settings with the box unchecked solved the problem and I now see the visual editor.

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

wp falls back to the standard text editor if, for one of many reasons, the rich text editor can't or won't load. You have to go back and change it manually if this happens to you.

A common issue. If you have a public mu install, a FAQ on the topic is a requirement. You're going to get asked this one a lot. :)

4. sparkwoodand21
    Posted 14 years ago #

(really dumb question warning) Where? where is the setting to enable it?

5. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's a setting on each individual user's page.

http://yoururl/wp-admin/profile.php

6. sparkwoodand21
    Posted 14 years ago #

can't find it. only tickbox i've got on that page is for keyboard shortcuts. and that's ticked.

7. sparkwoodand21
    Posted 14 years ago #

here a screengrab profile.php

8. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Interesting. It should be the very first option.... You might want to do a download of the latest version of that page and do a diff to make sure you have the the right one...

9. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's actually user-edit.php, as profile.php just includes that one, btw.

10. sparkwoodand21
    Posted 14 years ago #

found this in user-edit.php:

<?php if ( rich_edit_exists() && !( IS_PROFILE_PAGE && !$user_can_edit ) ) : // don't bother showing the option if the editor has been removed ?>
    	<tr>
    		<th scope="row"><?php _e('Visual Editor')?></th>
    		<td><label for="rich_editing"><input name="rich_editing" type="checkbox" id="rich_editing" value="false" <?php checked('false', $profileuser->rich_editing); ?> /> <?php _e('Disable the visual editor when writing'); ?></label></td>
    	</tr>
    <?php endif; ?>

turning either to true doesn't make it appear either. shall i do another forum entry about it?

11. clmnsbzy
    Posted 14 years ago #

just for documentation:
    I had the same bug as rebootnow in a new 2.9.1. wpmu installation

I converted several blogs into one wpmu installation and imported posts and users.

New users had the visual and html editor no problem.

Old imported users had to go to their profile(profile.php):
    and click on Update, just leaving the already unchecked Checkbox unchecked. After the update it works.

Any other way to do this, automatically?

12. clmnsbzy
    Posted 14 years ago #

okej looking at the mysql, it has to do with the wp_usermeta table and fieldvalues not being generated before a preference change occurs. so in my case it was related to the way the user were imported from the old blogs via mysql.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by rebootnow
  • Latest reply from clmnsbzy