The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

get a text message when a person creats a blog in WPMU (5 posts)

1. jeanvallery
    Posted 17 years ago #

I like that I'm suppose to recieve a email when a blog is created in worpress mu . I would also like a text message so I can resond faster incase of a spam blog. So I would like both to happen. Any php coders out there who can insert this in the already existing wp code for wordpress mu?

Jean Andre Vallery
    http://www.bicyclejournals.net
    Sarasota Florida
    941-232-2183

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

90% of mobile phone companies have an email gateway setup so you can send an email to your mobile and it shows up as a text message.

For example T-Mobile USA is tendigitnumber@tmomail.net (ex 1112223333@tmomail.net). You just have to find the email gateway for your provider then just forward the new blog emails to your phones email address.

I've done this before and over the years I have made a list of all major US providers:

Sprint: 10-digit-number@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    Verizon: 10-digit-nmber@vtext.com
    AT&T: 10-digit-number@mobile.att.net
    T Mobile: 10-digit-number@tmomail.net
    Nextel: 10-digit-number@messaging.nextel.com
    Cingular: 10-digit-number@mobile.mycingular.net
    Alltel: 10-digit-number@message.alltel.com

I realize a few companies have merged so for instance if you had AT&T when they merged with Ceingular, try both of the gateways because it could be either.

3. jeanvallery
    Posted 17 years ago #

thanks, is there php code that will allow me to add this feature to work alongside the current email notification of user created blogs to the admin

Jean Andre Vallery
    Sarasota Florida
    941-232-2183

4. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

You'll have to write the code yourself because the function that sends out that particular emial is unlikely to have a plugin available to do what you want.

The easiest way would be to simply have wpmu send the emails to an email account dedicated to recieving those emails and just forward it to your phone.

EDIT:

btw, this is not the only method to send a text message to your phone. However, it is the only "free" method. In order to send an actual sms message to your phone you would have to have access to an SMS gateway on your particular phone network. The devices alone are expensive and you still have to pay 5 - 10 cents per message sent. Due to the costs, you typically only see companies like Google, Yahoo, etc install a gateway. However if you search around a bit i'm sure you could find a company that operates a gateway and provides access for a monthly fee(clickatell.com is one that comes to mind).

Also, try to avoid companies that offer software SMS Gateways because the so called "software" does the equivelant of sending an email to the network operated email gateway(which you could do for free).

And my final words are: Remember that you will still be charged standard text messaging rates no matter how the message is sent to your phone. So if you have 100 signups a day that's $10 USD a day (based on the standard 10 cents per message rate).

5. jeanvallery
    Posted 17 years ago #

does anyone already have the code?
    Jean Andre Vallery
    Sarasota Florida
    941-232-2183

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by jeanvallery
  • Latest reply from jeanvallery