The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Would WPMU be the right solution for me and how to achieve this? (5 posts)

1. SupersonicSquirrel
    Posted 14 years ago #

Long-term WP user, but a WPMU virgin needs some advise, if possible.

I've been running a website on a famous and rather prolific musician using WordPress as CMS for about five years and my audience appears not to be really smart. For example, they ignore the incredible amount of things the site offers in favour of whatever happens to be the newest news item on the front page and generally, there's some sort of link-blindness going on. Also, I enabled an advanced search plugin and got people complaining because they cannot search each single part of the website separately: e.g. only news (covered by basic search), only the interviews, only the songs' lyrics. Not to mention that there's a second WordPress install on the website offering an enormous amount of video clips, and that people don't visit it because I don't announce every clip uploaded on the top of the front page.

So, I thought about this for a while and decided to give a go to WPMU, but only if it turns out it IS what I am looking for. I have a bunch of (possibly annoying) questions and I do hope I can get responses.

Basically, from what I understand, WPMU installs have one main blog and there's an option to create a large number of sub-blogs, right?

Question 1:
    I would like to convert the current primary installation of WP on the site to the main blog of the WPMU installation. The thing is - it uses too many plugins. Given that it's the main blog, does it matter if these plugins are WPMU-friendly or not? In other words, does the main install of WPMU function the same way a regular WP one does? I also have Gallery2 integrated with it, so that makes my concerns even bigger.

Question 2:
    Is this still valid? http://bavatuesdays.com/importing-a-single-wp-blog-to-a-wpmu-installation/

Question 3:
    After this, I would like to import the other WP installation as one of the "blogs". Should I repeat the steps under 2, given that this part of the site largely depends on wordtube plugin and needs it in order to function?

Question 4:
    Do I really need domain mapping if I want e.g. only site.com and video.site.com?

Question 5:
    Is the way to disable people from starting own blogs and actually knowing that I have WPMU as straightforward and simple as stopping them from registering to WP? I wouldn't want anyone to create any new blogs.

Question 6:
    Will I be basically able to keep the current themes for each of the sites, those tailored for WP? I get it that I'll have to modify the main site's theme at some point to fetch newest items from the sub-site, but can it all go step by step?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. SupersonicSquirrel
    Posted 14 years ago #

Also, of course, the WP installs I'd merge with MU were both upgraded to 2.8, does it matter?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes to everything but #4, which is no. :)

you'll have to setup a test install of MU somewhere to check and see if your must-have plugins work well.

But considering that WP & MU will be merging they'll have to be made to work at some point. :D

4. SupersonicSquirrel
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for the reply. :)

Does it include the last thing I said, too? That's the one I'm probably most paranoid about, my WP installs being 2.8.

Under #4, I meant to say site.com/video/ but that's what the lack of caffeine did to me, I made up a subdomain that I don't have. *slaps forehead*

I have made a little testing ground on another domain, now I assume I'd have to somehow test it on the domain where I'm planning to actually use it, given that I'm hosted with Servage and that they often have some quirks no other web host has.

I doubt I'd need any of the plugins to function on the global basis, as the main site and the video site share only a couple of basic ones, such as Akismet and General Stats.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Does it include the last thing I said, too? That's the one I'm probably most paranoid about, my WP installs being 2.8."

you might want to wait until WPMU is up to 2.8. It's slightly behind. you woudl probably be okay, since there isn't any db changes, but if you;re really really paranoid then wait.

Or you could also play around on a dev site and see.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by SupersonicSquirrel
  • Latest reply from andrea_r