The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Help! Segmentation Faults when crawled by Yahoo! Slurp? (15 posts)

1. mrball
    Posted 17 years ago #

From my logs:

access_log

68.142.250.16 - - [21/Jun/2006:06:25:59 +0800] "GET /category/football/ HTTP/1.0" 200 6220 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Yahoo! Slurp; http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/slurp)"

error_log

[Wed Jun 21 06:25:59 2006] [notice] child pid 5668 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

This is of course only 1 example, and started occurring at almost exactly the time I upgrade from release 541 to 571. Upgrading to the latest 582 doesnt help!!!

some pls help!

2. mrball
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh yeh, this brings down my apache server after a day or 2

3. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

How much RAM and CPU power does your server have? It might be worth investigating wp-cache2 if it's under-powered
    Or you can use cron to periodically restart Apache. If you're using an old version of PHP there may be memory leaks.

4. mrball
    Posted 17 years ago #

donncha: thanks for the reply! the server is not experiencing memory or cpu pressures. and it only segfaults when a request by yahoo slurp is made. perhaps the '!' in the http-user-agent header is causing some functions to segfault?

any ideas anybody?

5. mrball
    Posted 17 years ago #

update:

When I lower the memory limit for php back from 32M to 8M, the segmentation faults disappear but get replace by:

[client 68.142.251.145] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 49 bytes) in /var/www/jeyel/wpmu/wpmu-585-working/wp-inst/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 121
    [client 68.142.251.139] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /var/www/jeyel/wpmu/wpmu-585-working/wp-inst/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 116
    [client 68.142.250.157] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 46 bytes) in /var/www/jeyel/wpmu/wpmu-585-working/wp-inst/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 105

6. itdamager
    Posted 17 years ago #

Wordpress (and wpmu) doesn't use that much ram by itself. Remove all of the plugins you're trying to run. If that fixes it (probably will), put the plugins back one by one until you find the culprit.

7. mrball
    Posted 17 years ago #

IVE FOUND THE ANSWER! IVE FOUND THE ANSWER! IVE FOUND THE ANSWER! IVE FOUND THE ANSWER! IVE FOUND THE ANSWER! IVE FOUND THE ANSWER! IVE FOUND THE ANSWER! IVE FOUND THE ANSWER! IVE FOUND THE ANSWER! IVE FOUND THE ANSWER! IVE FOUND THE ANSWER!

8. mrball
    Posted 17 years ago #

Can't believe no one else has had problems with this infinite loop:

in functions.php look for:
    function do_robots() {
    global $current_blog;
    do_action('do_robots');

and comment out:
    do_action('do_robots');

9. itdamager
    Posted 17 years ago #

nice one...

10. mrball
    Posted 17 years ago #

itdamager: ty! btw, I use your .htaccess file from way back, now that they have changed it in MU a coupla times, have you updated yours as well?

11. itdamager
    Posted 17 years ago #

After today's update (rev 591) my htaccess no longer applies and you should use the htaccess that it comes with because it is finally fixed.

12. mrball
    Posted 17 years ago #

fixed? really? *gasp*

13. itdamager
    Posted 17 years ago #

htaccess, yes. The infinite loop, no.

14. itdamager
    Posted 17 years ago #

The problem seems to be in wordpress too. Just visit http://yoursite/robots.txt and wammo.

Mine doesn't crash though, just blank page with 'max function nesting level of 100 reached, aborting' written in the log.

15. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

I get a 404 error when I go to my domain.com/robots.txt

Anyway nice job mrball. It got me thinkin...

About this Topic