The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Raw data access tool (3 posts)

1. plug_n_author
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is there a tool that I can use to drill through and search the WordPress MU database tables? I'm not talking about phpmyadmin or other generic database access tools. I'm looking for something that allows me to drill through the raw data of WordPress MU to quickly find the information I'm after. A couple examples could be:

Find all the metadata/options names/values that match some specific criteria and return the names. Then let me pick and choose what values I actually want to look at.

Show the relationships between some entry and all immediate, relevant connections to it. An example of this would be: I want to find some image in the database based off of a URL. Show me what blog and post it belongs to along with permalinks to both (so I can see it in context should I choose to click on it).

These are the sorts of queries I want to run against WPMU. I can run them by hand, but it takes forever. I don't want nor need to modify anything - just view the data. The hardest queries are the ones involving multiple/all the blogs.

Now that I've clarified what I'm looking for: Does such a tool exist for WPMU?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

An example of this would be: I want to find some image in the database based off of a URL.

Bad example, as other than the URL of the image, the image itself is *not* stored in the database. :D

And I *think* (I'd have to check) that the post pages for attachments have the parent in the URL. Hrm.

there's WPMU power tools plugin, but you still have to write the queries.

That woudl be the closest thing that exists.

3. plug_n_author
    Posted 14 years ago #

The URL of the image is in the database, stored as an "attachment" (usually) with some post ID as a parent which, in turn, has a blog ID and name associated with that. I'd want to know what blog and post it was initially associated with and possibly what other posts (and blogs) reference it.

The plugin you mention is WAY too dangerous given I don't completely trust the other site-admins to NOT blow away the database. Really only looking for a read-only solution. Thanks anyway. Good to know what is available though.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by plug_n_author
  • Latest reply from plug_n_author