The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Custom admin dashboard verses user dashbard (4 posts)

1. schwooba
    Posted 14 years ago #

Howdy!

Is there a way to customize the admin dashboard and menu links on the left so that they are different then the user admin blog dashboard? I've been trying to modify the index.php, admin.php and menu.php by creating duplicates and appending the file names with -admin so that admin would login with index-admin.php that uses the admin-admin.php file and the menu-admin.php but keep getting errors because of this line in the index-admin.php...

/** Load WordPress Bootstrap */
    require_once('admin-admin.php');

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare add_cssclass() (previously declared in R:\Data\www\wp-admin\menu-admin.php:194) in R:\Data\www\wp-admin\menu.php on line 197.

Am I going about this the wrong way? I've tried plugins but they don't have the control I want.

Thanks!

2. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Um...I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, but you might be able to do it by using my "simple dashboard" plugin.

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/simple-dashboard

In general, it's a very bad idea to mess with core code.

3. schwooba
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for the reply.

It's close but doesn't support all the additional plugins I have like Nextgen and Statpress. I'll need to teach myself some programing to contribute to your plugin.

4. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Right - it'd be pretty impossible for a generalized, public use plugin to account for your particular set of plugins. But, this should at least get you started in the right direction. You may need to mod your other plugins directly to add some conditional logic...

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by schwooba
  • Latest reply from DeannaS