The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Login fails with a fatal error (25 posts)

1. flammable
    Posted 17 years ago #

I installed WPMU into a subdirectory (/wpmu) because a few file names conflict with Xoops, which I had already installed. It installed successfully, and I got the email with my login/password. I clicked "Login" and got this error:

Fatal Error

Could Not Find Blog!
    Searched for (my URL) in wpmu::wp_blogs table. Is that right?
    Please check that your database contains the following tables:
    wp_blogs
    wp_users
    wp_usermeta
    wp_site
    wp_sitemeta
    wp_sitecategories
    If you suspect a problem please report it to support forums!

I edited out the URL because this is only a test site, at the moment. So, I moved Xoops to a subdirectory, then put WPMU in the webroot. Deleted wp-config.php and the tables in the database, and reinstalled. So far, so good, got the email, go to the login page...and same error. The tables are there, I checked each time in PHPMyAdmin. I'm using revision 594.

So, I guess my questions would be: How do I get past this login issue, and is it possible to install WPMU into a subdirectory because of the Xoops conflict? I don't care much about subdomains, I'd rather have the blogs in subdirectories if it simplifies things and allows me to keep WPMU out of webroot.

Thank you!

2. greatbig47
    Posted 17 years ago #

I AM using subdomains, but my login info didn't get sent to me (with password).

It looks like the login still isn't quite fixed yet...But I tried the same muwp version earlier and it worked great (leading me o believe it could be user error). :)

3. flammable
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm using OS X...and got a message from Little Snitch (basically an outgoing firewall) that "smtp" was trying to connect to my ISP. Make sure WPMU can send the email if you've got a firewall installed.

Any ideas on the issues I posted above?

4. itdamager
    Posted 17 years ago #

Flammable, OS X hides .htaccess files in finder. Did you open a terminal window, navigate to your install directory and manually delete the .htaccess file that wpmu created?

In terminal:

cd /my/install/dir
    rm .htaccess

Then reinstall...

5. flammable
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks, IT Damager...I had forgotten about the .htaccess file. I deleted it and installed again, but got the same thing...I got to the main page (with the Kubrick theme), and then clicked Login...and got the error quoted in the first post.

6. flammable
    Posted 17 years ago #

I should probably note that the "Create a new blog" link also gives the exact same error.

7. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't know for sure, but it sounds like it maybe a url_rewrite issue. Have you got this enabled?

8. flammable
    Posted 17 years ago #

mod_rewrite is enabled...is that the same thing? If not, how do I enable url_rewrite?

9. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sorry - it's the same thing, so that's OK. Have you checked the Apache logs?

10. flammable
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nothing in the error log...here's what's in the access log:

192.168.1.1 - - [26/Jun/2006:00:24:02 -0400] "GET /wp-login.php HTTP/1.1" 200 521

Not sure exactly what that means, if it's not what's supposed to be happening...

I just redownloaded all of the latest WPMU files (this time from SVN...before, I used Safari - yes, that took a long time!). I get the same error, though, on both pages.

11. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

flammable - can you download today's snapshot and try again with that?

12. flammable
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks, donncha...tried again, but still getting the same error. Then I deleted all of the WPMU files, the entries in the database, and the .htaccess file...reinstalled, and same thing.

This is for revision 598, btw.

13. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

That is strange. I started with a 591 and upgraded to 593 by overwriting existing files which displayed behavior as you describe. Have upgraded to 598 by copying only changed files. Everything is now cooking along nicely.

14. MazZziKa
    Posted 17 years ago #

i think the database error from vhost is off
    and the 404 error .. because u did not make the apache changes

15. flammable
    Posted 17 years ago #

Do I need to make the Apache changes if I'm running WPMU in a subdirectory?

kahless, was it just wp-login.php and wp-register? Or did other files give you the same problems? I'd be willing to give that a try, too, though I'm sure it would be ideal for everyone if the current version didn't have this bug.

16. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

flammable - mod_rewrite must be enabled all the time.

is the entry in wp_site correct?
    Open wp-config.php - what's $base defined as?

17. KKWangen
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have the same problem as well (r598), on a non vhost installation, however I discovered that you had to use the path /blog/ to get to wp-login.php and wp-signup.php

yourmuinst.com/blog/

Then it works like it should.

My wp-config: $base = '/';

18. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

This is now fixed. Check out change #690!

19. KKWangen
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you!

20. theotherblog
    Posted 17 years ago #

I get this too... Using sub-folders (not domains). ditched the .htaccess... set the config right...

21. flammable
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you, donncha!! Grabbed the latest SVN, and now both wp-login.php and wp-signup.php both work. :D

22. flammable
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh oh, one other question...is it possible to run WPMU in a directory? Some file names conflict with Xoops, which will be the site's CMS (and thus be in weboot). I need WPMU to be placed in a directory, like /blogs or something.

23. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yup, it'll run fine!

24. flammable
    Posted 17 years ago #

Okay, I deleted the installation completely (.htaccess file, WPMU files, and database entries), and then downloaded a fresh copy from SVN. Then, I put it in /blogs and reinstalled. So far, so good...got the email, was able to login as admin. I clicked most of the WP Admin pages, and all looks fine. The signup pages work, too...I can create a new account.

Only problem is, I get a 404 for any blog I create. I also do not get the email with the account information. SMTP pops up on my outgoing firewall, but only once or twice instead of about 3 times...not sure if that's an issue or not.

Hmm, should I start a new thread for this?

25. flammable
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nevermind...trying out the new build, I'll start a new thread for anything else.

Thanks for getting me this far. :D

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by flammable
  • Latest reply from flammable