The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can connect to DB, but install won't finish (3 posts)

1. rcwatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm having a very perplexing problem that I've been troubleshooting from all angles for about 12 weeks now. I've come to the conclusion that I've done everything I can short of digging into the core code to see if there's something wrong there, which I doubt.

So, I get to the MU setup screen and enter the database authentication details. When I click "Submit" I get this message:

Can’t select database

We were able to connect to the database server (which means your username and password is okay) but not able to select the blognetwork_wp database.

* Are you sure it exists? YES! Otherwise, how did you connect to it?!
    * Does the user wordpress have permission to use the blognetwork_wp database? YES! I verified this by doing a "show grants" command at the command line and it returns: "GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'wordpress'@'server35.corporate.savvis.net' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '*EIU3WJDIUF5E366123CBD3EB98E27E0D970D8B9E'"
    * On some systems the name of your database is prefixed with your username, so it would be like username_blognetwork_wp. Could that be the problem? NO! That's NOT how this database is set up. The name of the database is simply blognetwork_wp.

Is there anything I can do to get past this error, or at least figure out why it's happening? I have this exact same setup, just with a separate MySQL 5.0.51 instance, username, and database name, on the same server for a whole other MU blog network and it works fine for that one. Just not for this one.

Again, it's connecting to this database instance, but just can't complete the config process. Please help.

2. rcwatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sorry, one more detail. This is WPMU 2.7.1 running on a LAMP stack. Thought you'd like to know that.

3. muhlwebdev
    Posted 14 years ago #

Your database permissions code says "GRANT USAGE". I used "GRANT ALL"

See my RESOLUTION at:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/13277?replies=1

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by rcwatson
  • Latest reply from muhlwebdev