The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Methods of Allowing Users to EDIT THEMES on their Blogs? (6 posts)

1. Farkel
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd like to create a little MU blog hosting for the users that go to my site, but I'd like them to be able to edit the themes that I will install... Like change around text colors, etc. easily in their admin menu and use different images, etc.

I've looked around and the only solution I found was mrball's mod, but I don't have PHP5 so I can't use it. I've also found about 5 themes that have a pre-made extended tab in Presentation that'll allow users to modify them... but I'd like to be able to have more than just 5 themes.

What are the options? Thanks!

2. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

There's no easy way apart from what you've mentioned above. The problem is that if users can edit their themes then they have the ability to insert any PHP code that they choose into the templates which would then be executed when the page loaded - a user could do this to delete all other blogs on the system if they wanted!

3. Farkel
    Posted 17 years ago #

Dang... wish there was a mod or something that would just allow users to edit simple things, such as hexadecimal values for font colors or bg images and headers and so on...

Are there any alternatives or options? What about that Lyceum thing?

4. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

Lyceum is the same. The problem is trust - you're trusting that users don't break the system.

There may be a plugin out there that allows users to edit the CSS, but I seem to recall that there are security risks associated with this too. And I don't know how this would work in a multi-user site - you would need different themes for different users.

5. mrball
    Posted 17 years ago #

6. Farkel
    Posted 17 years ago #

Awesome someone got it working of PHP4, thanks man!

About this Topic