The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU Installed - kinda but Detailed Description of Error Inside (10 posts)

1. advancedracedotcom
    Posted 14 years ago #

I installed WPMU 2.7.1 at http://advancedrace.com/new/. My host and I (he allowed me to come to his office for helping me in the installation procedure) followed the readme.txt and the installation instructions found over at here(http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WPMU).
    We checked we got mod_rewrite enabled, as when we disbled it the wpmu installer gave us a warning telling us that mod_rewrite disabled.
    We also have the line "AllowOverride FileInfo Options" in the appropriate place in the Apache instead of "AllowOverride None".
    We used subdirectory install as my host asked me to keep wpmu blogs in subdirectories.
    So other than that I have a normal wordpress install in another directory, a copy of its files are under the public_html folder though, allowing it run on the main domain page which is advancedrace.com
    As so the WPMU guys say on the download page of this current version :"
    Requirements
    Apart from WordPress Requirements

Apache mod_rewrite - if you had WP installed already with fancy URLs then you should be fine. "

While installing wpmu in the public_html folder though I just renamed the wp-config.php file for the few minutes while we ran the wpmu installation and then changed it back to normal.

But after entering all the data on the installation page like database user and password and other, we get to the page showing the password. But when we click on login it gives a 500 internal server error.
    If the .htaccess file is renamed to htaccess.txt then we get into the login and get the admin panels and the site. We were first creating pages and blogs but none worked as they showed 404 error. But then in the admin menu of permalinks I just changed the permalinks to default format from the previous "month and name" format, and the permalinks for pages are now working as you might notice, but the blogs that are getting created, they are still showing page 404 error.

Here is what is in my .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /new/

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*wp-content/plugins.*
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/wp-admin$
    RewriteRule ^(.+)$ $1/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    <Files async-upload.php>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </Files>
    </IfModule>

Just for your information I dont have a .htaccess file for the other wordpress setup in the public_html folder as it is in the other directoty where it is originally installed, and all the databases are created fine as well, as checked by my host and me.
    I hope I have given the most details that I think of.

Could any one please guide me in may be editing the .htaccess file or some other part of the admin or anything else that I might be missing. My host has been very patient and spent a lot of time on this, as we spent together over 4 hours at his office trying to get it to run (I have myself spent over 20 hours on getting it to run and searching for help on this forum and on the web).

2. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

So, shall we start from the beginning?

What directory is your MU installed in, what directory is your other WP install in?

I'll assume from the htaccess that the wpmu isn't in the root, but the other WP is.

In which case you need to read this:
    http://wpmututorials.com/installation2/installing-in-a-subfolder/

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yeah, he did that. :) It installed, but permalinks won't work because he disabled the htaccess file. If the enables htaccess, then the site gives a 500.

I know there's a few threads with this issue, but I haven't been able to track down exactly what kind of server setting is off.

4. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

Try commenting out all of the modsecurity settings and see if that helps, that way you ONLY have the mod_rewrite settings in the htaccess.

5. advancedracedotcom
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey Andrea_r and Cafespain thanks for your words.
    Cafespain this is what I did with my .htaccess file, first I commented out the modsecurity settings by putting the # sign in front of the last 6 lines of the file, and then I tried to load the main blog page http://advancedrace.com/new/ but it started giving the 500 internal server error.

Then I deleted the contents of the entire file and started one line at a time from the start but to no luck it would throw back the same error on refreshing the page.

But the only thing was that when I left the file empty, the main page was working but with the blogs throwing the page 404 error, but the single pages of the blogs are working.

So I m kinda stuck with this. Any more input is appreciated guys.

6. johnnymestizo
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi

I get the exact same deal.

I am on Bluehost and have managed to installed sub domain wpmu.

I have a * wildcard subdomain.

It installs correctly.

CHMOD 777 for wp-admin and all recursive dirs.

The main blog loads up fine.

But whenever I try to go to /wp-admin/ it says Error 404 - Not Found

I have put random .htaccess files in without the BASE/ thing and it will return Internal Server Error 500.

I have omitted the security settings and no good either.

I have been all around the internet twice trying to fix this but I need the help of the big boys.

Please ! I need this for a project I am doing...

Thanks

Johnny

7. johnnymestizo
    Posted 14 years ago #

This returns an Internal Server Error 500....

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file= [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/(.*)$
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    # <IfModule mod_security.c>
    # <Files async-upload.php>
    # SecFilterEngine Off
    # SecFilterScanPOST Off
    # </Files>
    # </IfModule>

Error Message returned when i goto wp-admin:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@domain.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.14 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8l DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at domain.com Port 80

8. johnnymestizo
    Posted 14 years ago #

any help with this? ideas?

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"CHMOD 777 for wp-admin and all recursive dirs."

Please fix this, it's terribly unsafe. wp-admin and all folders underneath it shoudl be 755. Files need to be 644.

the installer did not say anything about the wp-admin dir, just the root and wp-content. And then it tells you to switch it back when the install is finished.

10. johnnymestizo
    Posted 14 years ago #

Not sure what has happening...

I left it for a day... changed the wp-admin and recursive folders to 755 (from 777) and all recursive files to 644 within wp-admin... changed wp-content to 755 from 777.... now it all works...?

possibly the caching on bluehost? possibly the permissions...?

thanks for the help Andrea !

John

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by advancedracedotcom
  • Latest reply from johnnymestizo