The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Wordpress to Wordpress MU (4 posts)

1. MrMarco
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have an established blog for over a year now that I want to convert to MU. I've searched the site and have only found the following info in another post:

Backup your files and database in case you change mind.
    1. at your WordPress blog, do Tools->Export.
    2. install MU. You need to answer the question about the uninstall of WordPress--depends on where WordPress is now installed--depends on where you will install MU. Assume for now you need to remove the current WordPress files (you did back them up).
    3. in an MU blog, do Tools->Import->WordPress.

~Can I do this so the new MU install is in the same ROOT directory as the current install?
    ~Will this affect any css or header image changes I made to the current install? I'm using the default theme by the way with just a few color, text and header changes.

Basically I was hoping to find a more detailed description of the process.

Thanks

2. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Can I do this so the new MU install is in the same ROOT directory as the current install?

The WPMU install will replace your WP install at root, no co-existence. Backup all files and folders of WP and SQL and export XML. Delete all those files and folders including .htacess of your WP, then install WPMU and import the XML.

Will this affect any css or header image changes I made to the current install?

Since you're using default theme, WPMU has its own default theme for the main blog and you will just have to add the CSS declarations you made in your WP install and re-upload the image you used in your old default theme

3. MrMarco
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks bro, I'll give it a go and report back.

4. MrMarco
    Posted 14 years ago #

Went pretty smooth. I lost my links - my bad. I didn't go with the old default theme. Thought I'd change it along with the rest of the re-vamp of the site.

About this Topic