The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU 2.6 admin interface STILL appearing on a blog (12 posts)

1. rcwatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've just discovered that the 2.6.5 admin interface is still appearing on one blog out of about 100 in a WPMU install that was upgraded to 2.7.1 several months ago. Any idea why that one blog is still showing the old (tabbed) interface and not the new (left nav) interface?

And, what can I do to force it to the new interface?

Thanks.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

That's really weird. Logging in to the admin usually forces it to upgrade, and the version is kept in a global area, not per blog.

Are you sure that one blog is part of the MU install? :)

3. rcwatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

absolutely sure. no other MU install exists. I've never installed the singleton instance of Wordpress either. This is the first and only Wordpress MU install.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

What happens if you step through the Site Admin -> Upgrade script again?

(the one that just wiggles the db, not the full upgrade. it won't do anything to blogs already upgraded.)

5. rcwatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Site Admin -> Upgrade goes through all the existing blogs and "upgrades" them, and even shows this particular blog as one of them. Yet, upon inspection, all blogs except this one have the new interface.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm not sure if this would work, and I've only done it to force upgrades off the main blog, but...

what about calling the regular upgrade script directly? subblog.domain.com/upgrade.php ?

TOTALLY backup first please.

If all else fails, I would import the non-upgrading blog into a new blog.

7. rcwatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks. I just tried that now but it just results in a Not Found message. Going to do as you suggest and import it into a new blog. I wish I could still use the old subdomain though. If there's a way to do that, let me know.

8. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

Could it be using the "Turbo" Gears feature? Tools from admin.

"After you install and enable Gears, most of WordPress’ images, scripts, and CSS files will be stored locally on your computer. This speeds up page load time."

If it's referencing the local files and that was enabled in 2.6, that could possibly explain the visual disconnect.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I wish I could still use the old subdomain though. If there's a way to do that, let me know.

Once the new blog is working fine and you've double-checked, delete the old blog. make sure it no longer exists in the database anywhere. then you can *carefully* rename the new blog with the old name, in the database. (or from Site Admin -> Blogs , edit and change all those fields)

And yeah, before you do all that, definitely go check it on another computer from a different IP to make absolutely sure it's not a browser/computer caching issue.

10. rcwatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for the Gears tip. I hadn't thought of that. I did enable it at one time, now that I think about it, but I don't see any evidence of that other than the confusing message I get when I click "Turbo" in the top right corner of the old interface. It says:

"Gears is installed on this computer but is not enabled for use with WordPress. To enable it, make sure this web site is not on the denied list in Gears Settings under your browser Tools menu, then click the button below."

I did recently "re" install Gears for a second WPMU installation I also run, which may be the reason it says it's installed but not enabled...for this first WPMU installation.

How do I start from scratch again? Just uninstall Gears on my computer? Or do I also need to do something on the server?

11. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

Honestly, I've never used Gears. I think it's a setting at your browser level. Check your browsers's Tools menu and Google Gears Settings.

12. rcwatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

I completely uninstalled Gears from my machine/browser and it's still stuck on the 2.6.5 admin interface. Going to simply export and deactivate the blog and then re-create and re-activate it as recommended above.

Thanks all for your help.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by rcwatson
  • Latest reply from rcwatson