The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Database prefix to mu_? (8 posts)

1. jeromyboyd
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am taking a much different approach to my use of mu, wp and bb. Yes, my approach may seem so far off to left field it is rediculous, but I am wanting to test using a mu environment as a content management / social network system (but not used as a multi-blog system) while a wp installation runs my blog and bb runs my board. Sure enough I could use mu for the social and blogging side of things, but don't beat on my door telling me not to do it... back to subject though, is it possible, and how would I do so, to change the prefix that mu installs with in the db from wp to mu? And with that said, how would I sync my wp and bb installation to the mu installation user db? (I am guessing the same approach used to sync bb to wp is the same as with wp to mu.

2. jeromyboyd
    Posted 14 years ago #

Of course, to make my test environment even more organized, I would like to change the wp-admin, cp-content and wp-includes directories to mu-admin, mu-.... How difficult if possible would this be, and about how many thousands of lines would I have to go hunting down? (Yes, I know that this is mean to be a wp- and not mu-, but for my personal use it is something I would like to see about doing.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

You can use MU to run your current WP blog, and have no other blogs on it, leaving the rest of it to manage the CMS/socialnet part. That would definitely be far less work. :D

The bbpress part is pretty much the same (sometimes tricky, but close enough).

4. jeromyboyd
    Posted 14 years ago #

Brad in irc helped me with the database prefix issue; although I haven't tested it, both options presented should do the trick... but now on to the sync and directory issues.

5. jeromyboyd
    Posted 14 years ago #

Your right, I could just as easily, rather more easily manage my blog through the mu install, but this is an experiment I am trying for no good reason other than to experiment. Well, I have good reason, but until I get a working system of mu, wp and bb running simultaneously I wont get into that right now.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ah, the old "just to see if you can". :D

If they all shared a user table..

Hrm...

7. jeromyboyd
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, I am going to test this the same approach I would use for bb and wp, but have both wp and bb using t5he same cookies as mu; I think I can figure this out on my own (but if you have some direction, the please share). My concern right now, which is the major part of this project is changing the mu directories (includes, content and admin) to have mu- ihn front of them. What lines of code would I need to modify, or a possible hack in the htaccess, would redirect all base url's for these?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you look in the config file, you can specify alternate folder names for some thing, just like in regualr WP. haven't tried it, but it's there.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by jeromyboyd
  • Latest reply from andrea_r