The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Plugins can't write to directories or upload files. (9 posts)

1. HeroicNate
    Posted 14 years ago #

I keep running into this problem. I am trying to use two different plugins, Next Gen Gallery and WP E-commerce. Both of these are having problems with directories not being writable. For the gallery, I managed to change the upload path, but the photos won't upload. It shows the progress bar, but then there's nothing in the upload directory. The e-commerce just gives me the error that certain directories are not writable....

Is there a setting somewhere in WPMU that I need to enable to allow plugins to upload files?

2. HeroicNate
    Posted 14 years ago #

oh yeah, and I'm only using this for one main blog and as an admin...

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you look at the upload directories and change the permissions?

(on the server, not thru MU)

4. HeroicNate
    Posted 14 years ago #

to be honest I don't even know how to check/change the permissions on the server. I'm using a godaddy hosting account and I don't see a place to change directory permissions. But I changed the upload directory to the the wp-content/uploads/ and it still won't upload things through the plugins. The standard image upload from the visual post editor works just fine, but none of the plugins will work.

5. HeroicNate
    Posted 14 years ago #

Apparently all my messing around has really screwed something up because now if I try to upload anything with the normal post editor it asks me to log in again, but never accepts whatever i type..

I guess I'll just reinstall everything all over again.......

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

In their file manager, where you can view the folder structure on the server, if you check the box next to the folder name, there should be an option in the menu somewhere.

(fuzzy memory :D, but something should be there)

And if you can go in via ftp, your ftp software should let you do the same.

7. HeroicNate
    Posted 14 years ago #

well I found a way to edit the properties in the file manager, but I discovered that wasn't the problem. For the e-commerce, the problem was that it didn't create the directories so it couldn't write to them...

The Next-gen photo gallery still won't upload images though. I don't get an error or anything, it shows the progress up to 100% then tells me the directory is empty. I don't know what's going on with that. Haven't been able to find another photogallery plugin either.

8. HeroicNate
    Posted 14 years ago #

i found that the next gen gallery issue is with the flash loader. disabling the flash loader makes it work.

9. kingedward
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hi Andrea
    I'm making a lot of progress with 3rd mu install (had no trouble with wp by comparison!!) but right now I'm having permission issues that make no sense. Maybe you can help?
    mu can't write to almost anything during normal uploads (so I can't even change my user icon), or installing plugins (so several are stuck until I manually make the dir's and move the files if I can find them..)
    So using firezilla, and even plesk, I've changed permissions to the ENTIRE wp-content dir recursively to 777! and STILL mu can't make any new directories in it, and can't move most files around (like when its installing a plugin ) ...
    I pulled it back to 755, recursively, still no dice. My web host folks say its not their problem ... I've tried to change permissions several times, over several hours ... ok, so ... I'm out of ideas. 36 hours to barely get the system to work, very frustrating. wp installed and worked like a gem, no real problems ... I'm trying to demo mu if it is suitable for two entire new web services ... it's so unfortunate to have so many snags... any ideas on why the permissions won't permit?

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by HeroicNate
  • Latest reply from kingedward