The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Visual Editor Not Working (20 posts)

1. ewon
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've installed and set up WordPress MU and today I started to dump in content. The visual editor is not properly working. It only shows the media upload button but does not have any other formatting items from the WYSIWYG. The text does not appear unless highlighted either...

Here are a couple screen shots. I've done some Googling but can't seem to find any solutions. Should I reinstall? How do I solve this?

Picture 1
    Picture 2

2. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

Check your user profile settings. You can turn off the visual editor for a profile.

3. ewon
    Posted 14 years ago #

It is turned on. As you can see in the screen shots, the visual tab is showing. It just does not have any of the formatting options.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Then a plugin is interfering. Turn 'em all off, then back on one by one, checking each time.

5. gons
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm having the same problem on a _fresh_ install of WPmu 2.8.4a. Visual Editor is turned on in user profile, no plugins installed. visual tab is showing but theres no editor-toolbar and text is showing with html-tags.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

- check it in different browsers
    - make sure you uploaded all the files

7. gons
    Posted 14 years ago #

All files uploaded, neither Opera 9 nor Firefox 3 nor Internet Explorer 7 work. Issue reproduced with new WPmu-Install on another Server.

8. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

You don't have some javascript blocking plugins on the browsers, do you? Unlikely considering the variety that you've tested but I'm just confused by what it could be.

2.8 updated the TinyMCE editor to 3.2.4.1. It's a third party opensource component, not something written specifically for WordPress. Maybe check the TinyMCE project site to see if it's TinyMCE or WordPress that is actually causing the problem? Does this editor load?

9. gons
    Posted 14 years ago #

No JavaScript-blockers on the browsers and the TinyMCE on the project site loads just fine :-)

10. gons
    Posted 14 years ago #

Administrating a blog on wordpress.com, the dom of the edit article page looks like this

div id="postdivrich"
      div id="editor-toolbar"
      div id="quicktags"
        div id="ed_toolbar"
      div id="editorcontainer"
        textarea id="content"
        span id="content_parent"
      table id="post-status-info"

where elements with ids "quicktags" and "content" are switched between css display:none and display:block and represent the HTML editor whilst span-element with id "content_parent" is switched between css display:block and display:none and represents the visual editor/tinymce.

On my fresh install of WPmu 2.8.4a, the span-element with id "content_parent" is missing and switching from HTML to visual editor the "quicktags"-element is hidden by setting display:none while the "content"-textarea stays visible.

hope this helps to identify the problem.

11. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

I haven't been able to replicate the issue and I have several 2.8.4a installs going....

12. pipstar
    Posted 14 years ago #

Has anyone else found a solution for this problem? I've disabled all of my plugins and can't see any change.

13. vampyrse
    Posted 14 years ago #

Dito here. Have the exact same problems, and have tried all solutions proposed above, but with no result.

Wordpress.com seem to have had the same problems a month ago. From what I've heard, that was resolved.

Running 2.8.4a

14. weblogsfree
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm using 2.8.6 and getting this problem on one of my websites. It is not happening on all of my websites which are also using 2.8.6..strange. Could it be a server side problem?

If anyone locates the problem, please drop feedback. Thanks.

15. jancek
    Posted 14 years ago #

Nothing helped to me - BUT, then I found in IE 8 bug console the problem. I had to enable GZIP compression output on my server.

16. clemsonhomerun
    Posted 14 years ago #

found something that helped me....make sure the wp-tinymce.php file is executable inside wp-includes/js/tinymce

it wasnt by default for me on fresh install and bout drove me nuts until i discovered it searching the hard way.....

17. easytobusy
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have same problem on my Wordpress MU 2.9.2.

I try almost everything:
    - copy fresh copy of wp-admin adm wp-includes directory,
    - clear browser cache,
    - add define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '64M'); line in wp-config.php
    - add define('CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS', false); line in wp-config.php
    - try all browsers and operation systems.

Only thing what help is restart Apache service on my VPS. But this works only for couple of hours. This bug repeats time after time. I am so upset... Should I downgrade to 2.7.1? :(

18. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

turn off ALL your plugins, including those in mu-plugins. revert to the default theme. Now try it.

19. xseon
    Posted 13 years ago #

The problem should be elsewhere as I can see the editor when I enter any of the blogs' back-ends but some of the blog owners can not! The editor remains hidden for them. Any other suggestions?

20. xseon
    Posted 13 years ago #

uf, I'm sorry, the users had switched off the editor themselves. So, no problems with the editor here!

About this Topic