The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Looking for the most future proof, least resource taxing top view method (5 posts)

1. gw468
    Posted 14 years ago #

I just started my wpmu site and I currently don't have a "global" blog setup, but I do plan to do so in the near future. The global blog will show stuff like top 10 recent, top 10 rated and top 10 most viewed, sometimes on a per category basis. However, right now, I need to do some of those things on a per site basis. Which method/function/action/plugin or whatever will be the least taxing on resources AND be the most future proof for both global and per-site?

I've used wp-postviews, by Lester 'GaMerZ' Chan, before on a single wordpress site, but I just don't know what's best for mu. If there's one plugin or method that will take care of top rated, top viewed, and most recent, I'd love to keep it as minimal as possible. Any thoughts?

2. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"top 10 rated and top 10 most viewed,"

Can't remember if there are any plugin out there specifically for WPMU & sitewide for this. I'm thinking not.

Lester's ones do not work sitewide,. They are blog by blog.

Something to look for shoudl you roll your own or find one:
    - make sure it saves all the info off in a separate global table, and not query all the blogs each time.

4. gw468
    Posted 14 years ago #

@andrea_r, Thanks for that info. I was wondering if Lester's plugins would work, not just this one, but others too. I'll look into alternatives.

There is one mentioned in the wpmudev premium forum. Not much is said about it but I'll look further into that one. I'm not a member yet. I've been considering membership there, but haven't decided if it's worth it yet.

@mercime, Thanks for the links. Are you by chance a fan of the group Mercy Me or is your screen name totally unrelated?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Most single WP plugins work on a blog by blog basis. If you want to pull sitewide info from blog, you'll have to find wpmu-specific ones, which will say so. :)

About this Topic