The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

urls arent working (7 posts)

1. handeyman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi, im having a bit of trouble setting the site up, and was wondering if anyone can help me, im pretty sure my problem is .htaccess, after installing, I do not see a .htaccess in filezilla, and have no idea how to make one, im using the url forum

sitename.com/userame as aposed to username.sitename.com

When I make a page in the main blog, and try to view it, it says 404 not found.

not sure if this matters but the url to the site is http://JerkBlogs.com

any help is appreciated thanks.

2. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

There is a file called htaccess.dist in the root directory. Rename this file to .htaccess

Also, you may need to change a setting in FileZilla to allow viewing of hidden files - FileZilla won't display the .htaccess if that option isn't set.

3. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

You need to change "BASE/" to the real base of your site in .htaccess too. In the example above, that'll be "/"

4. handeyman
    Posted 17 years ago #

thanks il try that

5. handeyman
    Posted 17 years ago #

ok I couldnt get that to work, so I tried switching to subdomain instead, and now the pages work, but when I create a new blog, it says server not found, so now I cant get subdomaint to work

Edit: ok I think this has something to do with wildcard or apache, way to advanced for me, if anyone wants to do it, I can pay $15

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Usually, if you need to enable wildcard subdomains, you just ask your host.

7. handeyman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am my host, own deditcated server, running direct admin, iv googled it, but I still cant figure it out.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by handeyman
  • Latest reply from handeyman