The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Hide the main Wordpress admin area when users are setting up blogs in Buddypress (23 posts)

1. selcyis
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello,

Does any have any idea how to hide or redirect the users not to see the main admin wordpress back end. When the users signup and gimme a blog on buddypress I dont want them to see anything with the admin area, So basically I just want them to setup their blogs and only see buddypress theme and never see the dashboard back end admin stuff. I want them to control all their blogs in buddypress "In the users profile!"

I have the Site Admin/options clicked as "Enabled. Blogs and user accounts can be created."

OH,
    This is a very good question for others that want to the same!

Mitch M

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

As far as I know, nobody has done that yet. (it's somewhat doable though)

Blog management is the WPMU-portion and is meant to be done from the backend. you'll need to do some dev work to reproduce most of the functionality you want.

3. arezki
    Posted 14 years ago #

Mitch,

I am facing the same problem and I am puzzled that the core developers could not think of this issue, and yet it's very serious and compromising. Bottom line, newly registered users with their own blogs are directed to main Admin;s dashboard and not theirs. They have to pay serious attention to jump to theirs.. but there is a very strong likelihood they'll end up in the main Admin. I have no idea why this did not cross the mind of folks. But I am hoping someone will notice it. From Andrea's note, we're probably out of luck. Any chance you found a solution?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Bottom line, newly registered users with their own blogs are directed to main Admin;s dashboard and not theirs. "

I think this was recently fixed in trac, as in previous version, this worked as expected.

5. arezki
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank you, Andrea. That would my evening project. I always appreciate your feedback.

Cheers
    Arezki

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

this ticket may have been what I was thinking about
    http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/1076

7. arezki
    Posted 14 years ago #

Andrea... you are terrific. Thank you!

8. cha2e
    Posted 14 years ago #

I think the easiest solution for something like this would be to theme the admin area of the site to look more like your site's overall design.

Having an admin area that matches the rest of your site would be much easier than rewriting all of the admin back-end to be accessible through a plugin's theme files.. it'd be quite a task to do it right..

It wouldn't be such a harsh transition for the users, you wouldn't have to redevelop everything the admin area already accomplishes, and you accomplish the goal of having the admin area appear to be part of the "front-end" (as far as the user is concerned).

9. selcyis
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, theirs two logic sense behind this!!!
    I believe you need to recode the wp-admin page to redirect the issue or redesign the admin area to resemble your front page.

Its going to be a lot of work, but worth it. Thank you all for the feed back.
    We will get this solved one day.
    I will try to recode the problem if i can get it to work I will post the directions to all.

Mitch

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

There's a few admin reskinning plugins out there you could use as a base if you went this route.

11. arezki
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Selcyis... if you happen to find a fix, please let us know. Thank you all!

12. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, how much stuff do you want them to be able to do from the front end? Just post to the blog?

If so, have a look at the P2 theme and see how they did it.

13. arezki
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes Andrea- just posting. It's essentially having folks sharing their thoughts and not worry about widgets, plugins, themes, templates, etc.. think of facebook's ease of use for users with the ability for them to actually just write and share. I will check P2 theme and a million thanks for your guidance.

A-

14. AvatarRocks
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello Mates,

I am searching for something like this as well.

I have P2 Theme as our default.
    works quite well for posting and such.

But the next thing I am looking for
    is a way to manage comments from the front end.

- Please let me know if there's any way to do even that part.

Also, are there any plugin or widgets that can be added
    to blog widget areas - that allow admins to access specific duties from the front end?

- Please let me know.

@ Andrea or BuddyPress users...

I notice the Dashboard page in BuddyPress.org - once you login.

- Was that created through a Dashboard Theme?

- or would there be a way to access certain Blog Admin features
    through a Dashboard page like that?

I appreciate all of your good responses with this.

- Jeff -

15. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"@ Andrea or BuddyPress users...
    I notice the Dashboard page in BuddyPress.org - once you login.
    - Was that created through a Dashboard Theme?"

No, that's part buddypress. The all activity page, I think. If you look at the URL, you're still on the front side. they just used a custom name and called it "dashboard". You can do that via the BP site options (for the URL, not the layout).

"are there any plugin or widgets that can be added
    to blog widget areas - that allow admins to access specific duties from the front end?"

The only ones I know of just provide a link to get to the backend.

16. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

@Andrea - the redirect issue has not been fixed in trac, unfortunately. The infinite loop bug was fixed, but the redirect to the primary blog back end was considered a feature request. I think there's some code floating around on the forums for how to do it - though I think it should be the default behavior, too.

17. selcyis
    Posted 14 years ago #

Do you know what that forum or search description is called for the redirect code Deannas?
    That would be nice if you can post the url!

MM

18. nahummadrid
    Posted 13 years ago #

any update here? i use p2 as well and mu, tumblogging or quickpressing. wondering if the same can come of certain dashboard options as we are seeing with posting from the frontend, namely widgets (customizable sidebar), comment manage, theme switching and header image editing on a frontend dash from a bp profile settings area for ex. amplify has what seems to be a front end editor of the sidebar, theme switcher and header image and color editing.

i'll keep searching.

19. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Nope, it's still the Holy Grail.

20. nahummadrid
    Posted 13 years ago #

@andrea_r unattainable holy grail or are there steps one can take if they really really wanted to build it. where would i start let's say.

21. tianbao
    Posted 13 years ago #

all of you are terrific.
    i just learning

22. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

@nahummadrid for half what you mentioned, it hasn't been done yet at all.

doesn't mean it's impossible, just no one has done it yet.

23. nahummadrid
    Posted 13 years ago #

@andrea_r Thanks. I've been looking around for a couple of weeks now and I think it works just as well to just restyle and add a few new functions to customize the dashboard. It had been more than a year since I messed with it and it wasn't very fun...but now i can see there's tons of little snippets out there that you can throw in your functions to make it look and feel like its frontend editing...so I'm done looking for that holy grail, happy with this.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by selcyis
  • Latest reply from nahummadrid