The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

2.8.4a - admin loses admin privileges? (19 posts)

1. fogster
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just upgraded to 2.8.4a, after being a few minor revisions behind.

I'm the site admin, but now when I log in, I have no admin privileges. I hadn't changed anything database-side, so I'm puzzled.

(Aside: in composing this, I'm asked to select the Version, but it looks like the choices haven't been updated in a while.)

2. fogster
    Posted 14 years ago #

Quick update: I was logging in as my personal user, which is a site admin. I logged in as the literal "admin" user after resetting the password; it took me to /wp-admin/?c=1, and the number iterated until c=5, at which point I got the error: "You don't have permission to view this blog. Please contact the system administrator."

That's not good.

3. fogster
    Posted 14 years ago #

I don't know too much about the guts of WordPress, but I started poking around, and I'm wondering if this little bit of test code I wrote might demonstrate where the problem lies?

<?php
    require( dirname(__FILE__) . '/wp-load.php' );
    echo "<pre>";
    print_r(get_site_option( 'site_admins' ));
            echo "</pre>";
    ?>

I get back an empty set of pre tags; i.e., get_site_option('site_admins') returns nothing. I assume that should not be the case, but I'm not familiar enough with what it expects to know for sure that I'm not just calling it wrong.

Nothing shows up in Apache's error_log.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

There's a few threads about this - go look in the database and see if slashes are around the admin username.

5. fogster
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ah-ha! I had seen some of those threads, but the description I saw was vague and didn't seem to fix my problem. Now it does. (Maybe there was some level of caching...? Or maybe I fudged something when I tried it the first time?)

In case anyone else runs into this... Search wp_sitemeta table for where meta_key=site_admins and if it looks like a:2:{i:0;s:5:\"admin\";i:1;s:5:\"fogster\";} then strip out all of the \ characters. Viola, admin powers restored! :)

6. billdennis5
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, threads like this are what make me never want to upgrade. To a guy like me, it LOOKS like new versions are being tossed out before they are really tested.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

There's only a few diehards who test the pre-releases. Donncha can only test so much. Each new version coming out needs more people to test them to find the bugs.

8. billdennis5
    Posted 14 years ago #

The last time I upgrade, it just about killed my blog.

9. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

Opensource software is what it is. Just because it's free doesn't mean there isn't a cost to running it.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Billy, you need to have a dev site that is a mirror of your live site. then you can upgrade that first and check everything out.

11. billdennis5
    Posted 14 years ago #

i used to do that .....

12. WDuluoz
    Posted 14 years ago #

Another way this can mess up is if administrator has a capital A, such as Administrator. (been locked out for a while now, whew)

13. iolaire
    Posted 14 years ago #

foster thank you, that was a huge help...

14. johnsee
    Posted 14 years ago #

Awesome! Thanks so much for this. And thanks to iolaire who posted in my old thread about the problem which alerted me by RSS to the fix :D

15. kobak
    Posted 14 years ago #

Foster, thanks! Great help.

16. i-appreciate.org
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have the same problem but it won't even let me LOG IN...any suggestions?

17. alaskanbob
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thanks fogster that was the answer I was looking for.

18. jeffqc
    Posted 13 years ago #

site_admins a:1:{i:0;s:5:"admin";}

and still got the same issue my member do not have access to their blogs

19. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

This was for *site* admins who lose the Site Admin menu.

If you have a different issue, please start a new thread.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by fogster
  • Latest reply from andrea_r