The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Members can create blogs but not log into them (5 posts)

1. DaughterKnight
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have set up Buddypress at http://www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook/ - It seems to be working fine. Members can register accounts and create blogs - but no one (including admin) can sign into their blog to use it.

A friend says this is likely to be a permissions issue. Can you help?

Thank you so much.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

My guess is because the new blgos are being generated without the www in front, and the server is set up to redirect non-www requests back to the front page.

Because if you look close, that's what's happening.

the site is http://www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook/
    new blogs are created like aristasia-central.com/heartbook/newname/

And it redirects on you. So, it's not a folder permissions issues as MU does not create new folders for the blogs (they're virtual, they only live in the database).

The easiest way to fix it to change the server to use the non-www on the main site, and edit the files on blog 1 to take out the www. (go to Site Admin -> Blogs, and Edit)

3. DaughterKnight
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank you so much for helping! This sounds like the answer.

But I am afraid I am very new to all this - how do I change the server to use the non-www on the main site?

Thank you again.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Depends on your host. You could ask their support team, who may do it for you.

5. DaughterKnight
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank you so much for your help. I haven't gotten far with finding a way to automate the www change - my host says they have no setting and it depends on the software used.

That isn't too important as we are not expecting a huge number of users and I can change their filepath manually. I go into blogs and add www to each domain. Users CAN then sign in to their blogs, but are told "You do not have permission to view this blog".

What do I need to do now?

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by DaughterKnight
  • Latest reply from DaughterKnight