The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Source code patch software (6 posts)

1. cy_borg5
    Posted 14 years ago #

For a variety of reasons there are about five or six points in the WordPress MU source code that I need to patch to make my site properly. Some things are little things like turning on the theme editor and adding it to the admin menu. Others are slightly more drastic such as patches which allowed me to use a www. prefix even though WordPress MU doesn't want me to.

My problem is remembering and locating all of these patches each time I upgrade to a new version of WordPress MU. Could someone recommend some source code patch creation software that runs under Windows? Preferably not some UNIX commandline thing with dozens of obscure switches that I don't want to have to memorize.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"My problem is remembering and locating all of these patches each time I upgrade to a new version of WordPress MU."

Write yourself a text file with all this info.

otherwise, all you have available is setting up your own svn version. (that would be a command-line thingy)

3. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

1. Make every effort possible to write your modifications as plugins that use existing hooks instead of modifying the core. That's what we did with New Blog Defaults. Sure it would have been easy for us to go in and just tweak the core to turn off comments by default for a new blog, but making it a plugin means we can upgrade the core without worry.

2. SVN. Check out a copy of WPMU from track via SVN. Make your changes in your local copy. When there's a new version of WPMU, do an SVN update or switch and it will either seamlessly merge the code with your edits or tell you what files have conflicts and give you a side-by-side view fo the code asking what you want to do with the code differences.

(If you're on Windows, I recommend trying TortoiseSVN.)

4. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

3. Write yourself a text file with all the configuration screen settings. Not everything is stored in the code. Like whether you allow open signups or not.

5. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm with Kgraeme's number 1. I had code which I had to hard code into WPMU to get it working (I needed to interact with the editor and do various other things) but eventually I got fed up with hacking the core files and I worked out how to do it as a plugin (not that I've ever released the plugin as its too complicated and relies on about 6 new database tables and another website!).

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yep, and eventually some of those patches go away too.

Adding the theme editor back to the menu, for example, can be handled by a plugin.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by cy_borg5
  • Latest reply from andrea_r