The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Slugs for the created blogs doesn't work (5 posts)

1. onno.baudouin
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi - recently did a clean install of 2.8.4a on Windows2K8 server running apache and the usual. using the subdir method

At first glance no problems (i had installed a MU + Buddypress + bbPress before a week ago).

I was busy theming the main website (www.domain.com)(call it wp_1) then i created 2 new blogs with simple names such as /music /testing.

Naturally i quickly wanted to check this as http://www.domain.com/testing

But then i get this message: Sorry, no posts matched your criteria. (wordpress classic theme) and i'm still on the main blog. I checked if mod_rewrite is working and it is (server hasn't really changed). Databases are fine, site_urls are fine.

It appears somehow like it's not acting like a 'MU' the main blog takes the slug (/testing) and tries to find matching posts...

Weirder is when i type http://www.domain.com/testing/wp-admin i go to AN admin site but this again appears to be the main one.

Any ideas?

update: it doesn't matter what i type before wp-admin it always goes to the main one

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Does it find the Hello World post on the main blog? This will tell you if mod_rewrite is *really* working.

3. onno.baudouin
    Posted 14 years ago #

update: this is when typing: www.*******.com/hello

yep - it then jumps to the following permalink:

http://www.*******.com/blog/2009/08/19/hello-world/

(this also just works). I've check the blogs and all is fine (i.e. as far as i can tell Mu looks up in the wp_blogs so see what to do).

Has anybody done a *clean* install of 2.8.4a because maybe something went wrong in that?

4. onno.baudouin
    Posted 14 years ago #

hi all

got too frustrated and did a clean install. Then i noticed that when i gave www.*****.com it said it will remove the www. I remember that i went ahead with MY choice last time so this time i just entered *****.com.

Of course this means that the site is now *****.com rather then the, im MY choice www.*****.com is more common.

It seems strange / sad that a piece of software determines whether i can use www. or not. (there is a link to a website why www. is redundant, but quite frankly i'd like to make up my own mind).

This of course does mean there is a bug in there as it should be able to deal with the www.

Also noticed that initially the permalinks didn't work but only after an admin update on discussion (no changed settings?) did this work...

5. pengume
    Posted 14 years ago #

I believe that having www. is actually becoming less and less common, on sites with subdomains. However if you would really like support for this problem then I suggest being a little more humble I mean wordpress MU is already free what more do you want from them. hehe, To answer your question prior, I have installed a *clean* install of version 2.8.4a a a couple days ago and all is going smooth. Hope your happy with just having *******.com it seems thats all you can do at this point.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by onno.baudouin
  • Latest reply from pengume