The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Failed to open stream error when installing. (9 posts)

1. benjancewicz
    Posted 14 years ago #

Longtime Wordpress.org user, first time Wordpress µ user.

I just discovered Wordpress µ, and I'm so excited, it's spurred me to use it to redesign my aging site Zerflin.

What I did was through GoDaddy, my host, I have a separate hosting server, and I'm installing a development version of my site using Wordpress µ and pointing domain name Zerflin.us to it.

So, my problem is, when I go to install, I get these two errors.

Warning: require_once(wp-includes/wp-db.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/a/e/b/aebonymitchell/html/index-install.php on line 459

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'wp-includes/wp-db.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/a/e/b/aebonymitchell/html/index-install.php on line 459

"aebonymitchell" is a former client of mine. She decided not to continue her website with us for financial reasons, and so I used her old server space, cleaned it out, and pointed Zerflin.us towards it.
    It looks like GoDaddy keeps the original names.

So, what can I do to get this installed?

Thank you!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Its' still finding old files, so make sure it's all cleaned up. you may have to wait a few mintues/hours for GD to "refresh". :D

3. benjancewicz
    Posted 14 years ago #

Okey dokey. I'll wait until tomorrow and try again (just tried now, and it's doing them same thing).

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Got the right account level at GoDaddy?

http://help.godaddy.com/article/5072

5. benjancewicz
    Posted 14 years ago #

Stink. That's the problem.

Ok. My original server (the one Zerflin.com is no now) DOES meet the requirements.

So I guess my question is; what's the best way to develop a Wordpress µ site? Should I upgrade my Beta server? Or is there a way to install it on my Main server, having it go live at a later date after I've played with it?

My goal is to install Wordpress µ at the root directory, and use it as a CMS for my whole site, with a bunch of sub-blogs, all using variations of the same base theme, and tying back to the base.

Am I doing it the right way, or is there an option that would be better? If Wordpress µ is the wrong tool, feel free to tell me I'm off-base. :)

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Right tool, not the best host. :D

Might have to just pony up & upgrade the beta server so you can play around.

7. benjancewicz
    Posted 14 years ago #

Which host would you reccomend?
    I liked godaddy for their support & prices.

8. robthecomputerguy
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm sorry nobody recommended anything to you but I do see bluehost recommended by a lot of WP'ers, but I use HostGator and love them to death. They are a great company in every possible way. Even gave our school some free hosting accounts upon request. Really great guys over there, just seems like one company that does every possible thing right. I used to use GoDaddy but honestly I only switched from them when one of my clients pressed HostGator and I couldn't believe how fast HostGator was in comparison. I had zero learning curve moving to HostGator as I found it MUCH easier than GD and the customer service essentially of the same caliber. I have gotten more complex in my needs as time has gone on, and HostGator has been with me every step of the way, even allowing me to be a beta user for Windows server stuff that was completely and utterly over my head. But I'll be darned if they didn't make it all workable for me! :) I really can't say enough good things about them.

9. robthecomputerguy
    Posted 14 years ago #

Oh and I only ever had one referral so far through their program and do you know I had to call and inquire about it because there was an initial billing problem... and they set me up with teh commission no problemo. I really love them. :) As much as any guy could love their hosting company. :)

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by benjancewicz
  • Latest reply from robthecomputerguy