The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

need to change from subdomain to folder based blog urls (7 posts)

1. crespeto
    Posted 14 years ago #

Okay I started setting up the blogs using subdomains, but we are going to have to switch over to using shibboleth authentication so I need to switch from using subdomains to using folder. What is the proper way to do this, I changed the setting in the config file but now I can't access any of the blogs at the /blogname/ url, all I get is a 404 error, even on a new blog that I just created.

Thanks for any help.

2. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

You need to open the database in phpmyadmin or something similar.

Open the wp_blogs table and change all of the domains to be the root of your site and the paths to be the subdomains. E.g.

domain - myblog.mysite.com
    path - /

becomes - mysite.com
    path - /myblog/

When you have done that, you need to open the options table for each blog and change the entries for siteurl, home and fileupload_url to reflect the new url. e.g.

siteurl - http://myblog.mysite.com/
    becomes - http://mysite.com/myblog/

etc..

3. crespeto
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks, I tried this, but I only get a 404 error. I also changed the config setting for vhosts. Any other ideas.

4. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

Are you getting a server 404 (with a mention of apache at the bottom or similar) or a WordPress 4040 with the site theme.

5. crespeto
    Posted 14 years ago #

apache 404 error, so i'm guessing it is something with the .htaccess file that should add index.php to the end or something like that.

6. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

yep, it sounds like a htaccess issue.

Try deleting any existing one and recreating it from the htaccess.dist file.

7. crespeto
    Posted 14 years ago #

thanks, I looked over my .htaccess and it was a match for that I swear, but apparently it was different, when I replaced it with the htaccess.dist file everything started working properly. Thanks for your help.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by crespeto
  • Latest reply from crespeto