The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Moderate New User Sign Ups (10 posts)

1. awarner20
    Posted 14 years ago #

I know there is a "Moderate New Blogs" plugin: http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Moderate-New-Blogs

But is there a "Moderate New User" plugin?
    In my "Allow new registrations" area, I have checked, Only user account can be created. I would like to know if a plugin exists to moderate new user registrations.

Can anyone advise? I've been searching but haven't found one specifically targeted to user signup. I tried the Moderate New Blogs plugin thinking it would moderate users also, but it only mods new blogs.

2. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

What would you want to do to "moderate" new users when they sign up? Moderate their comments? I think there's a plugin out there for that. If they can't create blogs, then there's not a lot else they're going to be able to do even if they register....

3. awarner20
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi DeannaS,

Thanks for replying. I want to moderate the actual creation of users. Comments will never be allowed on this setup. This is a setup where users will never have blogs, just user accounts. These accounts are tagged with custom coded roles and then content is filtered on these roles.

When a user signs up, the information submitted will need to be approved on my end before their user account goes live to prevent users who don't "qualify" from seeing the filtered content.

4. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

I think you may be coding something from scratch, however:

http://www.dealsway.net/2007/09/04/wp-user-moderation/

This plugin worked at one time on WP I think, but is NOT a WPMU plugin. I do not know if it currently works on WP. Worth looking at if you want to code something wpmu specific. I have no need for a plugin such a this so I may not take up the task myself, but a glance at the code suggests an approach such as this looks doable to make SiteAdmin friendly.

I don't know of anything that works for WPMU.

5. awarner20
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for your input dsader. I'll have a look at this code and see what I can see. Unfortunately, I wouldn't consider myself a php coder as I only understand about 50% of what's going on when I look at plugin code, but little by little right?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Something that may possibly help:
    http://mattkern.com/wpmu-manually-approve-new-members-on-local-install/

It's a start, anyway.

7. awarner20
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r, I posted there yesterday after I couldn't get it working...

http://mattkern.com/wpmu-manually-approve-new-members-on-local-install/#comment-199

8. awarner20
    Posted 14 years ago #

I still haven't gotten this to work and oddly, my comment linked above is missing from Matt's site now.

Still looking for a user moderation plugin that works.

Could anyone here be convinced to create one from scratch or based off of any of the above? I would be happy to donate toward this.

My wish list would include single user approval and bulk approval.

9. MattKern
    Posted 14 years ago #

Adam, I hadn't published your comment yet as I was away and was a wee bit behind..

From your other comment I gather you do not want the activation email sent out, as this is an invite only type thing? That could be accomplished I am sure but it is not part of the plugin right now.

You also want a batch mode? That seems like a standard thing that could fit pretty well.

It also sounds like you want to assign user roles during the activation process? That sounds like it is veering off into custom land...

10. awarner20
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Matt, thanks for jumping in here, I appreciate it.

I gather you do not want the activation email sent out...

That's true. The activation email would be bypassed. There would be no need for it if I could manually approve all registrations. After being manually approved, the user would only get the new user email that contains their username and password. <---as an aside, I am also looking at adding a "create password at signup" plugin, but am still looking for the one that will fit best. I know I can get that at the premiumdev site, but I have also emailed the creator of the Register Plus plugin to ask if he has any plans to update his plugin or to make it available to wpmu. The features of this plugin are a lot of what I am looking for all in one. http://skullbit.com/wordpress-plugin/register-plus/

You also want a batch mode?

This is probably specific to my needs more than anything else as I am using an import plugin to import around 1500 users all at once. This large import should only happen once or twice though. Although this option may be useful in the case that several dozen requests came in over a weekend or something. Although, now that I think of it, if I had a new user moderation plugin installed, I could just uninstall it before I import this large batch to avoid having to approve all 1500. Sorry, sometimes it helps to write things out;)

It also sounds like you want to assign user roles during the activation process?

I'm doing this already with the plugin mentioned above.
    http://www.uk-experience.com/2009/01/26/wordpress-mass-account-import/

Moving past this initial user import, I have a need for users to be able to register themselves, receive an email telling them they need to be approved, then held for moderation until an admin approves them.

My desire is really leaning toward a full featured registration plugin similar to Register Plus and User Extra Fields especially with the ability to add extra fields during registration and to choose what fields to display to the user upon signing in, etc.

I am willing to fund as much of this development as I can, but if I can just get New User Moderation working now, I would be grateful.

...a boy can dream...:)

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by awarner20
  • Latest reply from awarner20