The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Über Blog setup (18 posts)

1. benjancewicz
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is there a way to set up one blog an an über blog, which would have featured posts on the front page, and which would allow people to visit all the subblogs, and keep the same navigation, with subnavigation specific to the subblogs?

Or maybe that's a theme...
    Or maybe a plugin...

2. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

3. benjancewicz
    Posted 14 years ago #

This looks like it only makes a tag cloud. I'm looking to display actual posts, as well as navigate to subblogs from a central location.

4. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

"This plugin creates a central blog where all the most recent posts on a WordPress MU site can be found."

Every post is duplicated on the main blog, with each post permalink pointing back to the original. It will most definitely do "featured posts" on the main blog while maintaining navigation to the subblogs.

Tags, authors, categories, archives, recent posts, featured categories, etc etc.. Regurgitating posts on a blog after installing the plugin is easy-peezy. Or you can make only a tag cloud, like WP.com does.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I love this plugin, I just wish it has a different name. :) It will very much do what you want, just like dsader says.

6. benjancewicz
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok. I installed it, but I'm not sure how it works...
    This line confuses me:

Remember to to add a post loop to home.php in the theme directory if it exists.

And how do I tell which is my "main" blog? Is that just blog #1?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

mina blog = blog #1.

You don't have to add any loops to anything is blog #1 has a regualr theme that shows posts on the main page. That lien is there *only* if your theme uses a home.php that doesn't show posts (like the default home theme for MU).

8. benjancewicz
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is there a way to have a navigation bar that allows people to browse other MU blogs?

9. delayedinsanity
    Posted 14 years ago #

I love this plugin, I just wish it has a different name. :)

I agree. Let's rename it 'Fred'.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

LOL

11. benjancewicz
    Posted 14 years ago #

So, Is there a way to have a navigation bar that allows people to browse other MU blogs?

12. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yeah, I'm trying to hunt down the menu bar plugin.

13. benjancewicz
    Posted 14 years ago #

I really love NAVT Lists, but it doesn't truly support MU. It works in MU, but doesn't recognize the other blogs or sub pages from within it's admin, and doesn't have the option to implement the same menu site-wide.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/MU-Admin-Bar

That'll give a bar at the top of the page. It will be easy to mod to get it to have "next blog" links.

15. benjancewicz
    Posted 14 years ago #

Doesn't that only show up when you're logged in, though?

16. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

No, it makes a blue bar across the top for everyone. It shows different info if you're logged in, but it's easy to modify to do what you want.

17. benjancewicz
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's not doing it for me. It won't show up unless I'm logged in.

18. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

There's a check n the plugin - take it out.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by benjancewicz
  • Latest reply from andrea_r