The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Feature request: Put a blog at any folder level (3 posts)

1. cy_borg5
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm not sure how to put in a feature request so I'm putting it here.

In single user WordPress you can install a blog virtually anywhere in any folder or subfolder or sub-subfolder. I have a website with about six different single user WordPress installations in it. One of them was in the root, another at for example mydomain.com/movies/ and another one at mydomain.com/tv/comedy/ and another one at mydomain.com/tv/drama/

However WPMU only lets you install in a subdomain or in a subfolder one level away from your installation. I like the flexibility to install blogs in any folder at any level of nesting deep using MU.

A related problem...

I have a single user WordPress blog at mydomain.com/vacation/ but there are subfolders off of the /vacation/ folder that are not part of the blog. Among them is a web calendar installation at mydomain.com/vacation/calendar/ and other various subfolders that for whatever reason I want to maintain as subfolders of /vacation/.

But as long as /vacation/ physically exists as a real folder, I could not put a blog there even if I include some sort of mydomain.com/vacation/index.php file.

It's my understanding that it is a design goal to make single user WordPress and WordPress MU to be as identical as possible. This is a major problem for people trying to convert multiple single user installations and it ties the hands even of those who start with wpmu from the beginning. It also goes a long way towards making wpmu a more useful CMS and not just a blogging tool. This

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

3. almostdaniel
    Posted 14 years ago #

Apologies for the cross-post, but I realized that I was in the t-shooting forum when I first posted this bump.

Has anything (plugin or core) been done related to having a complex URL for a single sub-blog?

What all this discussion boils down to is being able to install a blog at domain.com/any/url/path/blogname instead of only domain.com/blogname. It's really about expanding the capability of the url parsing functionality that maps an incoming url request to a particular blog. Instead of only looking at domain.com/toplevel to make a blog match, I believe we're talking about making a match at domain.com/toplevel/nextlevel/blog as well.

Anyone know of a plugin that helps manage this? I haven't looked through the release notes on core yet, mainly because it didn't seem that the core devs were interested, although andrea_r et al have definitely been in the discussion (thanks for linking these two together, andrea.)

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by cy_borg5
  • Latest reply from almostdaniel