The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Wildcards WAMP server... (7 posts)

1. Raginwolf
    Posted 14 years ago #

Totally reinstalling WPMU for the fifth time! This time I am going with subdomains as opposed to subdirectories. I have installed WAMP server latest...created my DB...installed WPMU in the root (www) on my little local server setup. This is as far as I have gotten thus far...
    You can log in using the username "admin" and password 43d83e5d4340
    Warning! Wildcard DNS may not be configured correctly!
    To use the subdomain feature of WordPress MU you must have a wildcard entry in your dns. The installer attempted to contact a random hostname (6fc50a.localhost.localdomain) on your domain but failed. It returned this error message:
    Could not open handle for fopen() to http://6fc50a.localhost.localdomain
    PLEASE HELP me set up this wildcard DNS subdomain thing.
    Thank you.
    Sincerely,
    David Sellers

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

if you a running locally for testing then you need to add each subdomain into the hosts file on the windows box, or if you are feeling really mad you can install a DNS server (I use dnsmasq) and force a wildcard domain in there for your test domain.

3. Raginwolf
    Posted 14 years ago #

Cool...Thanks. I had just downloaded dnsmasq and was tryimg to figure all of this out.

What I am looking for is 3 or 4 basically "static" sites(blogs). Am testing them locally until I can "go live". Now I am wondering what problems I will have when I do "go live". What would be the BEST set up NOW for the final transfer to the "host" later?

What would you suggest?
    Thank you again.

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

It all really depends, I've done mine as subdirectories because its part of a larger site and subdomains just didn't "work" as well in our plans.

BTW to get dnsmasq to work you enable it as a DNS server and point your clients DNS setting to it then add:

address=/your.domain.here/server.ip.address.here

in the config file are restart it and then anything.your.domain.here will resolve to the server IP.

5. Raginwolf
    Posted 14 years ago #

Steve, You have me thinking now. What would be best for me subdomains or subdirectories? Take into consideration that I want the transition to "go live" to be easy as possible. Please help and advise.
    Thank you.
    Sincerely,
    David Sellers

6. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Its really up to you. For ease of going live subdirectories could be seen as easier because they don't need wildcards setting up anywhere, but sometimes some plugins are a bit flakey when it comes to subdirectories, but they're getting better.

It really is up to you. In my case where the blogs really are an extension of my brothers site putting them into subdirectories on a single blog subdomain just made sense, but in your case it might not.

7. Raginwolf
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank you much Steve.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by Raginwolf
  • Latest reply from Raginwolf