The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

New users can't activate their blog (11 posts)

1. julient
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello,

Since one or two weeks, the new users can't activate their blog. They fill the signup form, receive an email with the activation link. But when they click on the link, the page doesn't load, the blog is never created.

After a search on the forums, this kind of problem seems to happen for subdomain installation, but this is not my case.

The weirdest is that it worked ok before and I don't remember having changed anything in particular. I've also checked the plugins, but with no success.

If anyone can give me some indications, it would be much appreciatd.
    Thanks a lot
    Julien

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you try making a test blog from the backend?

3. julient
    Posted 14 years ago #

A test blog works fine.
    And "old" users (those who already have a blog) can create a new one.
    This issue occurs only to the newly registered users.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you upgrade recently?
    Are the new blog tables even being created?

5. julient
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, we did an upgrade in July, but since blogs have been created by newly registered users...
    the tables are not created. And actually, the user is not created. It's as if a user that was never created wanted to create a blog.

Maybe should I solve first the user creation issue ?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Have you got any plugins affecting new users?

7. julient
    Posted 14 years ago #

Doesn't look like. I renamed the plugins and the mu-plugins directories and then tried to create a new user with a new blog, but it still doesn't work.

We tried a couple of weeks ago to zip the files on our servor. We then decided to switch back. May this cause the issue ?

8. delayedinsanity
    Posted 14 years ago #

This may be stupid, but if you've been moving files, you didn't accidentally lose wp-activate.php did you? Whats the address for your site?

9. julient
    Posted 14 years ago #

No, it's never stupid, I know I can do this kind of mistake ;)

I also tried to replace the wp-activate.php by a newer (2.8) and an older one. But this doesn't solve anything.
    According to me, it has something to do with the user creation. But I'm relaly unable to tell how and where to solve it...

10. delayedinsanity
    Posted 14 years ago #

One of your files almost has to be incompatible with another. I've never had a problem, and I'm running ยต and standalone on a variety of server setups.

Have you tried backing it all up and doing a clean (re)upgrade to 2.8.4a? Backup your file structure and database, then rip out wp-admin/, wp-includes/ and everything in your root except .htaccess and wp-config.php and drop it back in clean from the latest archive? Or if you have access to svn, just check it out straight from the repository (makes life VERY easy).

Just remember to back everything up twice before deleting/replacing anything. I've upgraded so many times that it's almost second nature but the two times in life we can make the most mistakes are a) when we're not confident and b) when we're way too confident. I rm -r'd my wp-content/ once and almost choked.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I rm -r'd my wp-content/ once and almost choked.

That feeling is never good.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by julient
  • Latest reply from andrea_r