The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgrading from WPMu 1.2.4 to 2.8.4a -- yeah, you heard me (9 posts)

1. billdennis5
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, I know. This is a friends' site that I occasionally post in and help her run. She never upgraded because it was working OK, so why bother, right?

Well, we need to upgrade for obvious reasons.

As I look at the documentation, I see the following paragraph:

If you are upgrading from a version earlier than 1.2.4 please note that all the functions previously found in wp-content/mu-plugins/ have been moved into wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php. Please remove the files in wp-content/mu-plugins/ to avoid any potential conflicts and errors.

To me, this implied that that I should be able to upgrade directly, without doing the upgrade to say, 1.3 then to 1.5 then to whatever ...

This is a very small site with two active blogs running.

You advice and sympathy is much appreciated.

And no, this is not the OTHER site that I've been having trouble with recently.

2. xenon2050
    Posted 14 years ago #

I would say make a backup of the site, and if WPMU supported it backthen export the blogs. Then I would say delete the whole WPMU folder, upload the newone installing it to the SQL database (Not sure if it'll update fine from such a old version, but I would think it would, and if it doesn't you have the full backup). Then you'll have to try installing the plugins and themes. Its very likely these will have to be rebuilt because in my experience a bunch of the WP hooks have changed.

Is the theme they are using a custom built one or a free one from somewhere? If its free maybe the have a more recent update, anything in the 2.5+ would work. What plugins do you have? MU-Plugins?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"To me, this implied that that I should be able to upgrade directly, without doing the upgrade to say, 1.3 then to 1.5 then to whatever ..."

No, that's not what it means at all.

That statement means there's core files that WERE in mu-plugins that have since been removed. you'll still have to remove them. And you'll still have to step through each upgrade version, or it will cause all kinds of issues.

4. billdennis5
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yuck.

5. billdennis5
    Posted 14 years ago #

So, my options are:

1.2 to 1.3 then
    1.3.3 to 1.5.1 then
    1.5 to 2.6 then
    2.6 to 2.7 then
    2.7.1 to 2.8.4a

OR

How about I just:

1. export the posts and comments from the TWO blogs on this site.
    2. Back up and then delete the old files.
    3. Install a fresh version of WPMu 2.8.4a.
    4. Create the second blog.
    5. Import the posts and comments.
    6. Make sure files in the blogs.dir are there. The top-level blog is the only one with photos.
    7. If it doesn't work, reinstall the old version.

Seriously, this is NOT a large site. There are no plugins that I need to worry about and she's only running with one theme.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'd go for Plan B. If there's only two blogs, it's far less work to set up the theme & plugins again than it would be to upgrade through all those issues.

Keep a copy of the database backup. Not sure how wonky an old export file will be to import to a new install.

a good test would be to export one of those blog and import it to a dummy blog on wordpress.com.

7. billdennis5
    Posted 14 years ago #

8. billdennis5
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks to Andrea_r and xenon2050 for advice end encouragement.

9. xenon2050
    Posted 14 years ago #

Glad I could help.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by billdennis5
  • Latest reply from xenon2050