The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Global (literally) WPMU stats (22 posts)

1. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Would anyone be interested in a global WPMU statistics system?

Basically, I would just create a simple plugin that would send how many blogs a site is hosting to wpmudev.org once every day. I would then display the statistics on the frontpage of wpmudev for everyone to see. Everything would be anonymous as far as how many blogs site X has and the only data sent would be the number of blogs so there's no real security threat.

It would work like this:

1) download plugin

2) goto wpmudev.org and get a statkey(each site will have to have one in order to send data due to chance of spammed data)

3) type statkey into the plugin and drop into mu-plugins.

4) the plugin will tally the total number of blogs once each day and send the data to wpmudev.org.

I'm just curious how many blogs are hosted on WPMU based blog hosts. If you all like this idea i'll code the plugin this week. If no one seems to take interest, I won't. Simple as that :)

Comments? Questions?

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh, btw, it would take a good number of people willing to use the plugin in order to make this project worthwhile. ;)

3. matrixmonkey
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sounds Like a plan to me )

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sounds good. Yo may also want to tally the following though:

- Total blogs
    - New signups
    - Blogs without a new post in the last x days.

Would probably be too easy to gum up the counts with sblogs. It would also penitalze those getting rid of dead blogs as well.

5. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmm, how about the following three:

1) Signups each day
    2) Active blogs(blogs with atleast two posts in the last 30 days)
    3) total blogs

I'm thinkong of keeping the data each day and putting it on a bar graph.

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

That would probably work. I know I had thought about doing a demo blog for each theme that I install and that would probably throw off numbers.

*chuckle* I wonder if we can get WP.com to install this to see how many of those 220k blogs that they have are active. ;)

There would be a privacy issue. I don't know if you would get complaints. If you're doing this for your own data or keeping track of growing numbers, you might want to include a "report my numbers but keep them private" option and not display those who choose that option.

Could also get real fancy and do something like Alien Assult Servers does with their server list

7. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

When data is recieved it would just be checked with the statkey to make sure that it's actually coming from *that* domain. The data would then be added to a running tally for that day. I don't plan on keeping track of individual sites, just one big number,

As for wp.com, i'm hoping that I can atleast get donncha to somehow send me (via the plugin, email, etc) the number of total blogs/activeblogs once per week. Without wp.com's data this whole thing would be a bit skewed. However, I guess I could always just guestimate it by the number of users they have posted on their frontpage (if it came to that.) :)

As for the overall accuracy of the system, I think it will be impossible with all the spam blogs and whatnot to get an exact/accurate number each day. This whole thing is just meant to give everyone an "idea" of how many blogs, etc there are out there.

The main thing i'm trying to stress here is that the data collected **WILL** be anonymous. So there really is no security/privacy threat by using the system.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

YES!

I'd also be interested in something similar that is site-specific. Would be rather cool for someone to stop by the main page and see that there's X number of blogs hosted, with X signups today so far, and maybe X entries posted today. :D

9. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Since the plugin will be doing the db queries anyway, I can just go ahead and have it save the data locally as well. :)

10. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Woot.

11. AndWat
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sounds good!

12. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Alrighty, there seems to be a good bit of interest so i'll start coding it tomorrow. Shouldn't take more than a day to get a testable version working. :)

13. BertieAnn
    Posted 17 years ago #

Any progress on this plugin? I am very interested in the local data that would be collected.

14. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's kinda in limbo at the moment. I recently switched jobs and free time has been somewhat sparce.

15. BertieAnn
    Posted 17 years ago #

No problem, was just curious.

16. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

What's this "free time" thing I keep hearing about?...

17. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Up untill two weeks ago I had plenty of "free time". Now, i'm lucky if I have time to eat two meals a day. I just spent $475 on a Dell Axim so that I can have email on the go.

18. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm also interested and waiting... Thanks

19. abhic
    Posted 17 years ago #

Interested...

20. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Although I've got the feeling this has flown off the radar, I would definitely love to see it if you're still around and willing andew.

21. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's a bit off the radar but it's also half finished. So if I have time over the next few weeks, i'll see if I can get it running.

22. nodblogcom
    Posted 16 years ago #

i hope you are still on to this.
    good luck!

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by andrewbillits
  • Latest reply from nodblogcom