The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Only Reg Users Can View Website (8 posts)

1. mibsolutionsllc
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have a MU site related to Doctors and they will be publishing information that I cannot let outside sources and robots view.

Is there a way that when you go to the main domain url, it shows a user/pass login for WP. I would set up the user/pass in the backend. Then they would login, then be able to view the website? I can't have it load up for anyone, I need the website to be password protected to even view the website in general.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

There are privacy plugins available for doing this.

3. mibsolutionsllc
    Posted 14 years ago #

There is an awesome plugin for this, and I work with the guy that made it! Small WP World :)

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/authenticate/

4. mibsolutionsllc
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi this does work on the main page, but all blogs are visible. The plugin is set to site wide. Has anyone experienced this before?

5. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

We use a hacked up version of this one:

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/More-Privacy-Options

I added code to let site admins modify privacy settings on a blog by blog basis, and then we combine that with a custom theme so that the main blog is "not protected" by the plugin, but at the theme level we have a front page that shows the nice text and login screen we want people to see, and the rest of the pages just redirect back to that page. Works well, if it is a bit convoluted.

6. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Are you running in subdirectory or subdomain mode?

Could you just look at implementing standard apache security using a password file?

7. mibsolutionsllc
    Posted 14 years ago #

The user/pass needs to be connected with WP. There is no way this client can update the htaccess each time someone else creates an acct :(

I have the blogs set to subdir.

I am looking for a solution that doesn't involve working with it after a new member creates an acct. Right now it works perfectly on the root - go anywhere on the root and it makes you login. However, my Forum (domain.com/forum) and all blogs (domain.com/blogname) show up :(

Any ideas?

8. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you try the plugin I posted? We're using it in subdirectory mode and it's tied into the user accounts. It should work out of the box without hacks if you don't mind getting the log-in screen immediately on hitting the URL.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by mibsolutionsllc
  • Latest reply from DeannaS