The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Most Active Blogs (25 posts)

1. alexk
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hello,
    How do you put most active blogs on a page. Is it a certain global function that needs to be called? Thanks

2. alexk
    Posted 18 years ago #

Nevermind. Got it.

3. JuanManuel
    Posted 18 years ago #

how you did it?

Juan

4. cianuro
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Alex, can clarify if it is a global function? I think Donncha mentioned something about a few. Whats it called?

5. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

Look for the function get_most_active_blogs() in wpmu-functions.php

6. cianuro
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

:) Got it. Cheers mate.

7. Walied
    Posted 17 years ago #

how can we limit the numbers of the most active blogs in global functions

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Most Active Blog list.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

9. conpeo
    Posted 17 years ago #

can i list ALL Active Blog?
    i replace actual single quotes on line 5 with no space between them to call function in my home.php

my guess which setting in MUAdmin that limit list MU All Active Blog? (my home.php only can show 11 active blogs)

i try to deactivate and Activate again,
    $most_active = get_most_active_blogs( 100, false );
    still no show all active blog. (even i fail to try list-All)

can you help me? thankyou.

10. conpeo
    Posted 17 years ago #

i try to modify the wpmu-functions.php
    change code
    function get_most_active_blogs( $num = 10, $display = true )

$num = 50

still not work to list All Active Blog.

11. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

All that changing "$num" does is change the default number of items to show per page if it is a paginated list.

It doesn't effect the query at all.

Since we're digging into code, you can see that it call the get_blog_list function, with the parameters of ( 0, 'all', false ). In other words, start = 0, num = all, and display is false so it can be used in the function.

As a note, you didn't need to modify the core file. Since you could call the function with the parameters specified, such as get_most_active_blogs('all', true);

As a note, you were calling the function as false, which will not return a display. Unless you're using it to return the array, to sort it out in a foreach to run formatting on the results.

12. conpeo
    Posted 17 years ago #

i still can't display full list Active Blog. it only show 11 active blogs.
    if i use list-all-blogs it will show all (include deactive).

is it my WPMU admin backend set wrongly?

even i create newuser (by admin) also cannot list out. or my server provider problems? my godness...

13. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Arean y of thsoe blogs not shwoing marked as private? in every thread I;ve seen about blogs not showing up on the list, that was the issue.

On signup, there's a ticky box to keep the blog out of search engines AND listings around the site.

14. conpeo
    Posted 17 years ago #

ya, got it. I just check the database the active blogs not show because of public is '0', if user register not public their blog to (Google态Technorati).

can i update database set public to '1'?

15. jinglesnbells
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am using the basicmu theme that includes Dr. Mikes "Most Active Blog" function.

My question is that I want to exclude certain blogs from showing up.

Can I make that change to the code?
    How can I make that change to the code?

The site is glbtconnect.com.

I want to list cities seperate from all other blogs.

Also, the site is still being created so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :) I have played with wordpress, but this is my first shot at using wpmu.

16. jinglesnbells
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nevermind
    I figured it out. I just set the blog to private instead of public.

17. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I had forgotten about this. Gotta admit that page views would probably be a better judge of what the most active blog is.

18. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Exactly. Most active just means the largest number of posts, that's all. Someone imports all the entries from previous blogs, and they'll bump way up the list.

19. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Most active just means the largest number of posts, that's all.

In this case, yes. In RL, I'd lean more towards most actual activity. Maybe a combo of both posts and views?

Someone imports all the entries from previous blogs, and they'll bump way up the list.

Especially on my blog since we were using it as the workaround for the blogger importer over at wp.com. I asked folks to delete their blogs when they were done but many didn't.

20. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, that's kinda what I was meaning (not having a good day here, sorry, got bad news) - the most_active_blogs actually lists blog with the most *entries*. Which, IRL is not what we assume with the meaning of "most active". :) You follow? :D

21. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

This wouldn't be much of a problem, really. A simple counter, but would also be adding a write to the db on every page load.

22. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually it gets more involved than that unless you want that count to be for all time. The last 24-48 hours would be better.

I'm actually htinking about using the data already generated with out stats program and just doing a page view count for the last 2 days.,

23. zappoman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ah... so, we're here with another question I have.

Note: It's fun coming late to the party because everyone has already sampled all the food and drink and they say "oh don't try that it doesn't taste good at all" or "you've got to try the clam dip, it rocks!".

So, I was checking this out and thinking... hmm, what I really want is a "top posts", and so I was looking at this function and looking at short stats and trying to think of a way to get a list of all the posts that are most read.

The solution that comes to mind is what Doc is suggesting here, basically adding some kind of a global table with a rolling posts activity, and then using logic similar to get_most_active_blogs() to use this global table to track back to the actual posts... blah blah blah... I can sort of picture it...

Anyway, has anyone done this yet?

24. zappoman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ok, so I've hacked on this idea a little bit, and put together a simple prototype of "top posts"... you can find the first cut at it here...

http://heftagaub.wordpress.com/2007/03/11/wpmu-top-posts-plugin/

The page doesn't contain a lot of documentation yet, but the code has more than enough.

This is very early, I'm sure it could be optimized, I haven't tested it that much but it seems to be working in my test environment.

I tried to make it work like get_posts() and I also added some template style functions... like get_the_title() and the_title().

I don't know if there is a better version of this out there, but for now, here's a cut at what I was thinking.

25. mvkozyrev
    Posted 16 years ago #

php get_most_active_blogs() displays URL of blogs. How can I display blog names?

About this Topic