The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can login after WPMU install, but web link only goes to WPMU install page (16 posts)

1. roberthq
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello everyone! I'm new to MU, but have a few single WP installs.

I've installed MU in a sub directory where I have a hosted domain. My root level has a single WP install. Any way, I'm on a shared server and virtual host is off and set it up to created sub directory. I get to the install screen, enter info, get the logon, logon with success, can add blogs and posts just like you would normally. But if I try to visit the index or any thing or any blog I've created or by typing in the address in a browser or even clicking "preview site" from the control panel of WPMU I go to the same install page...no matter what I do.

see for yourself foldingsheets.com

Can't find my error log and I even checked in the main root...I found it but its reporting from my single installs. Nothing in the sub-directory or any of the sub folders of that directory.

I'm lost, can't sort out what would be doing this and I've been reading this stuff for days. Anyone else get this same problem?

Thanks for taking the time to read this
    RRG

2. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

WPMU looks up a directory for a wp-config.php file. It's possible that your WPMU installation is finding the WP wp-config.php file and thinking that it isn't correct, thus sending you to the installation page.

Is there a particular reason you are trying to install WP and WPMU on the same server? Is it possible to go to just WPMU?

3. roberthq
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well sure its possible. But I can't afford to bring down my entire site(s) that is already installed in single installs of wp.

Ok, so lets think that WPMU is thinking the config.php file is not correct? What should I do? Re-installing doesn't work as I've done this. Any ideas are a help.

I just tried for the hell of it, changing the name of the config file in the root directory and there was no change on how the sit loaded.
    Thanks for reading
    RRG

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

So you're using an add-on domain? That has issues on some hosts.

What host are you on? there's a couple that frig up the install so it won't work right if you don't have the right account..

5. roberthq
    Posted 14 years ago #

Andrea,
    thanks for getting back. I'm using Lunarpages. Yeah, its an add on domain.

Just an odd side note, I don't know all the in and outs of Wordpress, but I was once a Movable type guy and I still have it installed on my server and can create as many blogs as I want with it (sucks). I don't use it because its now junk compared to wordpress...but what gets me is that its about the same thing, just no propitiatory code (I'm being super general here). I just figured that I'd be able to set this up no problem and make a few blogs to teach my writing class how to blog with full control to protect the kids (most of them are girls as boys don't write), set up a blogs and do some creative writing (and take photos to match).

Lunarpages has been telling me to upgrade to a vps server. Its not that I don't want to, but why upgrade if I can make it work here? Have you heard anything about Lunarpages?

Thanks again for reading
    RRG

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Aha....

"Lunarpages has been telling me to upgrade to a vps server."

If this is what they are telling you, then yes - they have done something to force WPMU to act like this so you will upgrade. I bet if you upgrade your account it will magically work.

There's a couple other hosts that do the same exact thing.

7. roberthq
    Posted 14 years ago #

Of course that makes sense...but as I was mentioning...how did I get Movable type to install? It does the same thing...I still feel like there is a work around. They only told me to upgrade after I mentioned to them what I was doing. You really think they can somehow limited MU installs? I know they block wildcards and modifications to the apache httpd.conf file. Is that enough to bring down WPMU and make it not work?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

MT does a similar thing in a different way.

"You really think they can somehow limited MU installs? "

Yes, I do.A quick & dirty little shell script to keep tossing up that install page wouldn't be difficult.

"I know they block wildcards and modifications to the apache httpd.conf file."

If it were just that, the main blog would work, and you could install it using subfolder blogs and that would work, so they've done something else.

If they keep telling you that you have to upgrade, then you either have to upgrade or find a new host. WPMU can be a lot more server intensive, and the hosts have every right to limit what services of theirs you can use it on.

9. roberthq
    Posted 14 years ago #

Andrea,
    It just seems dirty they way they're doing it as no one will tell me at lunarpages whats going on. I ask for help, they take 24 hours to get back to me, I ask about upgrading, I get a response in 30min's. Hmmmmmmmm...

Anyway, thanks for your response(s). I'll let you know what comes out if I upgrade or find a way around this.

RRG

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

GoDaddy's another one that does this. I kind of wonder what they're going to do after the codebases merge and any WP install can add on multiple blogs. One unnamed host was telling users the MU was a security risk, but WP was fine.

I doubt you'll find away around it on your current host & account level. :-/

I've got enough domains & stuff now, I went to a VPS and then finally a dedicated box where I can install whatever I like.

11. roberthq
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm on the fence about upgrading...If I'm still working out getting it working with Lunarpages. They seem to be willing to help. But even then, its seems fishy.

I have a few weeks to get this sorted. I'll see what I can get them to do this week and get back to you. Thank you again.
    RRG

12. rsgrone
    Posted 14 years ago #

Shop around -- trust me a got a great deal on a dedicated 2008 web server that was only 12 bucks more than godaddy's v-server

Although, I am still having a plethora of problems with 2.8.4a and unforunately I deleted the prior revision that was working fine

13. roberthq
    Posted 14 years ago #

This is what I've been told after giving the keys to the help desk guys over at lunarpages...This is quoted from the support ticket they sent me:

A technician responded to your ticket with:
    Hello, I have tried the install and looked into what the WPMU forums say on this. Apparently this is a common issue on sites where Wordpress is installed in public_html and they attempt to install WPMU in a subfolder. This is an issue with the script as you can tell by all the others having this issue with different hosts and by the numerous solutions provided. I installed it to my site on our Chiron server at http://dangkids.com/ and it is working just fine. I do have a single version of Wordpress also installed under another of my addon domains in another subfolder which is not affecting this. It has to do with your current install under public_html. Unfortunately, we do not provide support for 3rd party scripts and this is a script issue. My suggestions from what I have read is to contact the script maker for help and perhaps try the extreme suggestion of downloading all the files for the wordpress install under public_html via FTP, delete the files from the server, install WPMU, reupload the public_html wordpress files again. You might also consider moving that install to a subfolder also then redirect to that folder in the public_html .htaccess with the following code: [This can be used to redirect a primary domain to a folder to make it appear as if that subfolder's index.htm, index.php, whatever is the index page for the primary domain.] RewriteEngine On Options +FollowSymlinks RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} domain.com$ RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !folder/ RewriteRule ^(.*)$ folder/$1

I hope this sheds new light for some of you. I guess MU will not install in a directory, only the root folder. There are many posts here that mention how to do this. I'll be hitting them up soon.
    Good luck!
    RRG

14. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"I guess MU will not install in a directory, only the root folder. "

Sure it will.

15. roberthq
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for all your advise Andrea, this is what I learned from Lunarpages..(after going back and forth with support for weeks)

quoted from an other post:

I wanted to let everyone know what I learned from My WPMU and single install woes.

With Lunarpages I was able to install and run it on a shared server. It had to be installed on the root and I did get it to install in a directory, but it just won't run correctly. So I moved my previous single install of WP to a directory and installed WPMU on the root and everything works fine.

Hope this helps those of you trying to do something like this.
    RRG

16. jogule
    Posted 14 years ago #

define('COOKIE_DOMAIN', FALSE); in the wp-config.php

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by robert@hqprints.net
  • Latest reply from jogule