The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

wp-admin url (7 posts)

1. Person
    Posted 14 years ago #

With a fresh install of WPMU 2.8.4a (so no plugins, no changes), I keep getting errors in the given urls of wp-admin. For example, if I save the settings in Settings/General or wherever else, the url is subsequently appended as:

name.url.com/name/name/wp-admin/options-general.php?updated=true

It's really redundant to have the name in there three times, but more importantly, the name is being doubled at the end causing images to break (e.g. blank.gif over the wp logo) which can also cause potential issues for plugins.

Another thing to be noted is that there is no correspondance between name.url.com and name.url.com/name/. The first is treated as the root, while the second becomes a blog. So now I'm stuck not being able to modify my own root.

Is there any way to fix these issues? I had no problems with either 2.7.1 or 2.8.2.

2. Person
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hm, so for the second issue, what I found is that the main website is pointing to the home.php file in the template, while subsequently creating a redirect towards the auto-generated sublog 'name'. Problem is, the sublog 'name' isn't displaying any content since for whatever reason it believes it's suppose to be looking for content via the main website. If I remove home.php, the main website will use the index.php file and load properly (although links are still pointing to the sublog).

Also, everywhere the base of the website is written as /name/, while it should be just '/'. I tried to change most of these but it just ended up erroring the entire installation. Question is, why is it appending a base in the first place? How do I fix this?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I think we need more information about your setup. Where did you install it? what directory - the root? is it an add-on domain or in a subdomain?

4. Person
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's installed in the root of a subdomain (e.g. name.website.com), with the option for blog addresses as sub-directories. With 2.7.1 this was not an issue, but with 2.8.4a the subdomain name gets appended as the base blog as if it were installed in a subdirectory (i.e. name.website.com/name/). Except that it's faulty, causing neither name.website.com nor name.website.com/name/ to function properly. And with my first bug mentioned, when you save something, you obtain an url of (name.website.com/name/name/). I assume all these issues are interrelated since I haven't seen anyone else complain about them.

I tried again and did a comparitive with the old version and changed wherever it said name.website.com/name/ (/name/) back to name.website.com/ (/) - (i.e. in htaccess, wp-config, and mysql db). This partly works, but it's still somewhat broken in places. E.g. trying to login takes me to 'http://name.website.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fname.website.com%2Fname%2Fwp-admin%2F', or I get 'Error 404 - Not Found' on the index page for trying to display posts.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

What did you install it as, subdomains or subdirectories?

Also, what does it say about the VHOST in wp-config.php? Should be yes or no depending on the answer to the first question.

6. Person
    Posted 14 years ago #

^subdirectories

and VHOST says 'no'.

7. Person
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok well now I'm confused, I tried 2.7.1 and the same problem occured. On my end there's no difference between this current installation and my older one, but somehow my url is being read as name.website.com/name/. I'll have to ask my host what's up with that; so I no longer suspect this as a WordPress issue.

About this Topic