The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Uninstalling WordPressMU (10 posts)

1. acharity
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sorry, guys. Stupid question but I don't know the answer. I installed WordPressMU 2.8.4a and selected the blogs-get-a-subdomain-name option only to discover afterwards that my hosting company doesn't accept DNS wildcards. So - if I understand everything correctly - I can't use the subdomain option.

I figured I'd uninstall WordPress and reinstall it, selecting the subfolder option instead. Only problem is, I don't know how to uninstall. I don't mind losing everything connected with WordPress at this point, but I don't want to create any problems with the rest of my website (which includes Joomla, another database, etc.). Does WordPress write to files outside the wordpress_mu folder when it installs? Is there a formal uninstall process? Can I simply delete the wordpress_mu folder, replace it with the original unzipped contents, and start the installation over again?

Thanks for any help.

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Delete the wp-config file and delete all the tables in the database and just re-run the installer.

3. acharity
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks.

So - just to make sure I understand - the wp-config.php file in the root directory of the install is created during installation? There doesn't have to be a file with that name for the installation to run properly?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

If that's all you want to change, and you haven't created any member blogs yet, just edit the wp-config.php file. Find the line that says VHOST=YES. Change it to NO.

5. acharity
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks.

6. vikas g
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just want to know how to uninstall the mu wordpress?
    There is no link to deactivate or uninstall it.

Can anyone guide with simple steps in simple not technical terms!

Thanks everyone

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Go in with ftp or your webhost control panel and remove the files from the server.

8. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Delete the databases as well.

9. ravetildon
    Posted 14 years ago #

or just drop the tables in phpmyadmin.

10. jeffreydavis
    Posted 14 years ago #

I think that you have to do <b>3</b> things:

• Delete wp-config.php
    • Delete .htaccess
    • Drop all the mysql tables

Hopefully you can figure out how to get rid of the mysql tables. If you aren't a command line guru, then phpmyadmin helps a lot.

I have a particular problem and I have re-installed like 10 times in the last 18 hours. I have written a script that does all three things, so I don't have to remember (I try not to rely on my brain more than I have to :) ).

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by acharity
  • Latest reply from jeffreydavis