The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

what is wp_registration_log used for? (3 posts)

1. vanillaxtrakt
    Posted 14 years ago #

Okay, here's the deal: we're running a Wordpress Mu site, and all of our user accounts are managed by LDAP. The email addresses for many of these accounts have changed because we've outsourced them. I'm writing a script that goes through the database and changes the emails where appropriate.

I scoured the database (via another script I wrote), and found that for this task, I'll probably want to change the email addresses in the user_email column in wp_users, and in the option_value column in wp_###_options where option_name = 'admin_email' Look okay so far?

I also see user emails in other tables such as wp_###_comments, but I don't think those need to be changed.

However, I found email addresses in the email column of wp_registration_log, which I'm not so sure about. What is that table used for, other than keeping a track of registered blogs? Do I need to change the email values in that table? Will it hurt/help anything if I do/don't?

I'm thinking, if it's just a log of blog registrations, then I'll leave it alone. It might be useful to know that the blog was originally registered with another email addressd. But if the email address in the table is actually used for something, like determining permissions or the owner of a blog, or for sending emails to when a comment is made, then I suppose I'll need to change it.

Thanks!

2. wpmuguru
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's a log. It doesn't affect running blogs. If it were me, I would not change those addresses.

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

We use it to check against the IP addressees of spammers creating splogs. That way we can see if they've created any other splogs that we may have missed.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by vanillaxtrakt
  • Latest reply from tdjcbe