The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Have Wordpress Reg want to make it Wordpress MU (5 posts)

1. GoldsteinMedia
    Posted 14 years ago #

How hard is it to turn my Regular Wordpress into Wordpress MU?

2. arabica
    Posted 14 years ago #

I suppose it is an easy process.
    You need to backup you database first of all and even better backup your whole website.

Then you export your posts via reg-wp admin.
    Once you have a copy of your posts all you need is to install MU in a different location.
    After that it is a matter of importing them to any blog you may create on WPMU.

I suggest you try it locally on your PC first using WAMP or XAMP server.
    It is pretty easy you just need to try it.

Good Luck!

3. ebiladdress
    Posted 14 years ago #

First, I highly suggest setting up MU and breaking it a few times to learn your way around it. Its alot like WP but its functionality leaves me just saying 'the devils in the details'..

None the less, I moved my physical files to another dir so that I had a live copy and corrected that reference. Once the old site was moved, I installed the production MU instance and started to pull content from one database to move it to the other.

Be careful to try all of this process, well .. well in advance of moving things around... Experience is far more valuable in this process than one may think, even with the quality instructions that are on the net.

Eric

4. arabica
    Posted 14 years ago #

Check this post. It also has some some links you'll find helpful.
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/6343

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

In simplest terms, you Export your data, back everything up, then blow away WP.

Install MU, then Import your entries again.

If you want to save plugin options, multiple users, etc, then you're mucking aroudn in the db.

Or you can wait for the merge.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by GoldsteinMedia
  • Latest reply from andrea_r