The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Dashboard Problem On Main Blog (15 posts)

1. soll
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello!

Dashboard on my main blog (default domain) loses formatting.

It appears on default homepage of dashboard, but if I try to edit anything there is no more theme.

PICTURE:
    http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/8395/imgqi.png

I was customizing my WPMU and had to change ADMIN_COOKIE_PATH.

Everything is working fine, except Dashboard Of Main blog.

I can edit everything from my other blog, because site admin options is there in all my blogs.

But still, it is a little bit annoying.

Thank you for any insight :)

2. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

I looks like the CSS is failing to load. Do a view source and look for the CSS paths. See if they look funky.

3. soll
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, you are correct, I looked up and the CSS link generates wrong.

CSS still looks in wp-admin folder, instead of new one I defined.

Source code says

<link rel='stylesheet' href='http://domain.com/wp-admin/load-styles.php?c=1&dir=ltr&load=global,wp-admin&ver=blablabla' type='text/css' media='all' />

Correct would be this

<link rel='stylesheet' href='http://domain.com/MY_NEW_ADMIN_FOLDER/load-styles.php?c=1&dir=ltr&load=global,wp-admin&ver=blablabla' type='text/css' media='all' />

Based on source code I predict something needs correction in following part of admin-header.php. But I may be wrong.

<?php

if ( in_array( $pagenow, array('post.php', 'post-new.php', 'page.php', 'page-new.php') ) ) {
    	add_action( 'admin_print_footer_scripts', 'wp_tiny_mce', 25 );
    	wp_enqueue_script('quicktags');
    }

do_action('admin_enqueue_scripts', $hook_suffix);
    do_action("admin_print_styles-$hook_suffix");
    do_action('admin_print_styles');
    do_action("admin_print_scripts-$hook_suffix");
    do_action('admin_print_scripts');
    do_action("admin_head-$hook_suffix");
    do_action('admin_head');

if ( get_user_setting('mfold') == 'f' ) {
    	$admin_body_class .= ' folded';
    }

if ( $is_iphone ) { ?>
    <style type="text/css">.row-actions{visibility:visible;}</style>
    <?php } ?>

Thanks for any new insight!

4. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you're hacking wordpress to change where the admin folder is, you're going to most likely be dealing with a world of hurt. Why are you changing the admin folder & is there another way you can accomplish what you're trying to accomplish without doing that? In my install, I count 343 hardcoded references to wp-admin. Some of those are in plugins. But, the majority are in core code.

5. soll
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am not trying to change where admin folder is, I'm just hiding it because of security reasons.

I followed these instructions.

http://www.michiknows.com/2007/02/12/who-else-wants-to-hide-their-wordpress-admin-folder/

I changed wp-settings.php according to comment #51.

Look for: define( ‘ADMIN_COOKIE_PATH’, SITECOOKIEPATH . ‘wp-admin’ );
    Modify to: define( ‘ADMIN_COOKIE_PATH’, SITECOOKIEPATH . ‘ADMINFOLDER’ );

Some other links are not working too, but I know how to change those few links by hand, but not loading CSS is making managing close to impossible.

Thank you for any insight or new solution.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, that link is 2 years old and for single WordPress. It may not work in MU.

7. soll
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is there any other solution to hide/change wp-admin?

Or is this outdated idea the only one.

Thanks

8. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

I think in general the advice would be to keep your WPMU install up-to-date and not change where the admin folder is....

9. kimtejeda
    Posted 14 years ago #

I increased the storage space last night and now i am having the same problem with my dashboard can't access it and its giving me an error message:

"Oops!!The page you're looking for is not here"

What can i do Andrea?

10. kirkward
    Posted 14 years ago #

It is now five months since the last post, and I am having the same problem with WPMU not loading the theme name as "soll" posted in their code snippets.

If you look at the first code snippet, you will see two slashes where there should be a theme name. This happens on a first load in a new browser, which is what the situation will be with any new visitor. It goes away when the page is refreshed, and stays gone as long as the browser stays open.

I found posts at two more places on Wordpress MU ...

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/15682?replies=11
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/13176?replies=3

The first one seems to indicate that thproblem can be solved by correcting the WPMU address in the database. However, my install does not show the database they edited.

It appears to be a WPMU bug that many "experts" are glossing over because they are not running into it.

Please someone help.

11. kirkward
    Posted 14 years ago #

Addendum ... My install is up to date, I am not trying to "hide" the header or anything funky. It is a straight WPMU install with MU plugins from WPMUDev.org and Wordpress itself.

12. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It appears to be a WPMU bug that many "experts" are glossing over because they are not running into it.

99% of the time, errors are due to plugins. Turn them off, remove them all.

Can you get in the backend now? If so, it was a plugin.

13. kirkward
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Andrea,

Getting to the backend has never been a problem for me. As I noted in my post, my problem is with the CSS not being called in the theme header on first load in a new browser. It goes away when I hit refresh, and does not return for the remainder of the browser instance.

Meanwhile, I removed all plugins, regular and MU, and reloaded them one at a time, to no avail. I'm still getting the error.

This does NOT happen 100% of the time. It had previously been 99%, but is now not as frequent. Especially if the browser is reopened shortly after load. It is NOT a "browser" thing as it happens from multiple locations (PC's) and for different individuals in different locations.

It also occurs across multiple themes, those designed for single blog Worpress, and those designed for multiple sites (WPMU).

14. kirkward
    Posted 14 years ago #

Andrea,

I have been doing some research based upon the solution offered in http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/13176?replies=3

What I found, when I looked at my error_log in public_html was that there were database errors every time this happened where WPMU was trying to access a family of tables related to a blog that had been deleted.

Seems this is a WPMU error. Possibly the same problem is causing the error described at all the other posts on this topic.

Any WPMU gurus who can advise why this is happening?

Thanks,
    Kirk

15. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

there were database errors every time this happened where WPMU was trying to access a family of tables related to a blog that had been deleted.

It would help to see those errors. My guess is you need some db cleanup.

About this Topic