The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

XAMPP vs Leopard server and localdomain issues (4 posts)

1. bencharity
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok I have been reading for days online trying to get setup to run wpmu on my computer for development purposes.

First, I have XAMPP already, is it easier to get setup for WPMU on XAMPP or just with Leopard?

Second, I have been trying very hard to get this setup but keep falling short. I have read several tutorials but still don't understand how to get 'localdomain' setup to use. Is there a kind soul who can lead me through? I am very new to .conf files and things like vhost etc.

Thank you in advance.

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

running it on localhost.localdomain is a bit of pain because you either have to run in subdirectory mode or you have to keep editing the hosts file on the server (and any machine you're using as a client) to include the new subdomains.

3. bencharity
    Posted 14 years ago #

From what I've read it seems that localhost.localdomain is the only way to run WPMU on my own computer. Is there another way? Or are you suggesting to only work on WPMU online?

Thanks for your input SteveAtty!

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

There is another way to do it, but its a little bit more complicated.

Install dnsmasq on your server. Configure it to act purely as a DNS server (i.e. not act as a DHCP server), add any upstream DNS servers to /etc/resolv.conf

You now have two options :

Subdomains: Configure dnsmasq to support wildcards on mytest.domain and to deliver all subdomains as its own IP. Configure Apache to support *.mytest.domain.

Subdirectories : Configure dnmasq to serve mytest.domain as its own IP.

Then on ANY client that you want to be able to access the blogs you simply set the server as the single DNS server for those clients.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by bencharity
  • Latest reply from SteveAtty