The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Sidebar - PHP - autolinking (3 posts)

1. MrMarco
    Posted 14 years ago #

ok.. So I'm using MU as a network of sites. I'm also using a program called "Links Organizer" which allows for automatically and semi-automatically (need an admin approval) adding link exchanges. Quite powerful and simple actually. I place a piece of php code in the sidebar.php and viola LO does the rest.

The problem I'm having is that I cannot seem to separate the blogs from the main page. You see I would need to be able to add a different snippet of code into each blogs sidebar (which apparently I cannot do). Currently each blog is set as a sub-directory. When I enter the code in the sidebar-default.php the links show up on ALL blogs. Which isn't optimal for many reasons. I'm using the Carrington theme if that makes any difference.

So I'm wondering if there's a work around or am I just going to have to add each link exchange request by hand in each blog backend? The automation tool is most excellent...

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Because you;re putting it directly in the sidebar theme files, then yes, it will show that way on ALL blogs.

To make it blog-specific, if the code was in a widget, it would do what you want. Then you could set it on a blog by blog basis.

So - either ask the plugin dev if he has plans for it, or you'll have to build the widget. :) (it's fairly easy)

3. MrMarco
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks Andrea. I did a search for php widgets and there are already a bunch out there. Works perfectly now.

About this Topic