The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

User blogs on a subdomain (10 posts)

1. agent14
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi. How do I properly configure Wordpress MU to support blogs on a subdomain? For example...
    Wordpress MU is installed on a subdomain - http://www.sub.domain.com
    A user creates his blog, http://www.user.sub.domain.com. However when the user tries to activate his blog they get a 404 error...
    Not Found
    The requested URL /wp-activate.php was not found on this server.
    How do I configure it correctly? Thanks.

2. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

Did you read through the README.txt?

3. agent14
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yeah I did read through the Readme.txt. I'll check out my DNS configuration tool.

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

1) Ditch the 'www''s in there. That may be half the issue. Especially since MU tells you not to use the 'www' during setup IIRC.

2) Not sure what your backend is like (ie CPanel, Direct Admin, etc) but your best bet would be to create a seperate account specifically for the subdomain (ie sub.domain.com) and then do the wildcards and ServerAlias off of that instead of off the main domain.

3) What is the specific requested URL? Really can't help you configure something without knowing what it is that you're getting. :)

5. agent14
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think I've got it working now. I followed the readme, but I'm not sure what control panel I'm using, but its not CPanel as I've used it before.

6. mahpour
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is there any way to prevent creating extra prefix subdomains? For example, I have blog.domain.com and I want to let users have theirnames.domain.com. by default MUWP reside before their names.any suggestion or guides.

A solution could be using Apache rewriter but I dont know how to write its expression to map xxx.yyy.zzz.com to xxx.zzz.com.

Any idea?

7. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yeah.. I'd really like to follow mahpours way... how to do this... can we hack .htaccess to do this??

8. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

any htaccess gurus around? Or some great userfriendly (for non htaccess freaks) that one can refer too...? (most of it is greek)

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Best bet would be to run the user name through either a ereg_replace to get rid of the unwanted characters or replace the unwanted characters with a str_replace.

10. Josey-Wales
    Posted 16 years ago #

drmike

It sounds like you have a good idea of how to do this. I am interested in just that. Have you done it before? Are you available to share more insight? or for hire?

Thanks

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by agent14
  • Latest reply from Josey-Wales