The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Activation emails not being received by Yahoo! (and some other) email users (3 posts)

1. cratercraver
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,
    I have wpmu running successfully but activation emails are not being received for all new users. To test the problem myself, I have created new users with six distinct email providers and found the following results:
    i) Gmail accounts --- activation emails received with no problem
    ii) my .edu account --- again, no problem
    iii) my hosting provider account --- again, no problem
    iv) Hotmail accounts --- again, no problems
    v) Yahoo email accounts --- emails ***NOT*** received
    vi) GMX email accounts --- emails ***NOT*** received

In the case of the last two trials, I did look in Spam folders and no email messages were found. There is no sign of those activation email messages anywhere.

Why would the activation emails be received by only 4-out-of-6 email providers??

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Because of the email providers being too harsh. You may need a reverse DNS record for your domain, so yahoo and GMX (and Hotmail, before you bang your head testing...) will see the email as "legit".

3. cratercraver
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for the reply Andrea. My hosting provider said that they have a reverse DNS record for their server (although not my domain name scpecifically) and it should work fine.

My test email eventually came through after a few hours (!) on Yahoo!, but the attempts to reach GMX email always fail. I'm not sure what happens to the email going to GMX, but it doesn't get there. I think I have to ask my hosting provider to check the email logs because it doesn't seem possible to do that from CPanel (or Wordpress, of course).

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by cratercraver
  • Latest reply from cratercraver