The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

I want Contributors to see only their own posts in Posts - Edit (6 posts)

1. bhvictor
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, I ran into something that justified the 10 seconds needed to register and ask for your help.

I'm building a Wordpress MU website without leaving the users the option to have a blog.
    I selected the option where the visitors can create accounts and not blogs. Also, I selected the option where every new user gets to be a "Contributor" and not a subscriber.

The information flow should be like this:

The blogs are like this:

city1.domain.com
    city2.domain.com
    etc

The user registers to comment and rate locations, I got that working.
    The user also becomes a "Contributor" by default on all blogs (2 of them now, I'm improving it to make it work for unlimited blogs) and all new users can add send Articles for all blogs (cities) and categories.

The admin goes and approves them, if the articles are ok.

So far, everything looks good and I've already accomplished all the above (with plugins and some code, mostly from your forum).

It's the Contributor backend that troubles me.

I've used:
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/meta-boxes
    and
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Menus

to allow them (everyone except admins) to see only
    a. Dashboard -> My blogs
    b. Posts
    c. Posts -> Add new
    d. Posts -> Edit
    e. Comments

It's under d. Posts -> Edit where the problem is.

The Contributor can see all Posts, written by all the users on the site. He cannot edit them but he can see them, in a chronological order.

I would like the Contributor to have "My posts" instead of "Posts -> Edit", so he can only see his own posts.

So, basically, how can I make a user to see only the posts he wrote, in a multi-author platform?

I searched the forums for a solution but I didn't find any.

Is there any plugin, hack or even setting (I could have missed one, although I doubt it) that can help me with this?

Thank you,

Victor

2. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

It could be as simple as directing the contributor to his/her author page link e.g. http://yoursite.com/author/hisusername/ and you've got the list of all posts easily in chronological order. And assuming you've got title, excerpts and the "edit" tag in the archive/author page and single post page, your contributor can edit ASAP.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's not an issues with WPMU, so you may want to poke around the single WP forums to see how other multi-author blogs have handled it.

Because by default, that's how it works.

4. NickRita
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi victor,
    yes, it's a WP issue and here's the solution:

Look for edit.php in the wp-admin folder. Make a copy of it in case, the following code doesn't work for you!
    Then look for: <h2><?php

Put the following code after it:

$thisauthor='';
    if (!current_user_can('edit_others_posts'))
    $thisauthor = '&author=' . $user_ID;
    wp('what_to_show=posts&posts_per_page=15&posts_per_archive_page=-1' . $thisauthor);

That's it.

Contributors will only see their own posts, administrators will see all posts.

5. reboltutorial
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey great, I need that too

6. Setab
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks...Just what I was looking for also...

About this Topic