The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Partner tags for technorati? (17 posts)

1. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

OK, you've all seen it. On your dashboard, there's a bit about incoming links over at technorati. At the very end of the link though is a bit saying '?partner=wordpress'

Anyone know if we can get that for out own sites?

I'd bug Tech directly but they just love me for all of the times I've bugged them about wp.com stuff and sites not updating. :)

Thanks,
    -drmike

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Not related but is it just me or has anyone else noticed how much faster technorati has been the last week or so. I think they must have added a few servers.

3. XIII
    Posted 17 years ago #

Slightly faster, and unfortunately not picking up on new entries for me since about 2 weeks.
    I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what the doctor means with regard to getting that for our own sites...

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Open up Dashboard and look to the upper right. You'll see the list of "incoming links" with a tag labeled 'More.' If you hold your mouse over the more link, you'll see a URL like the following:

http://www.technorati.com/search/http://daria.be/?partner=wordpress

I'm wondering about the last bit in there.

Thanks,
    -drmike

5. XIII
    Posted 17 years ago #

I know the link, just wondering what you were wondering about seeing as it seems to work just fine. So I have no idea what the partner bit is good for either.

6. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've always wondered what the "partner=wordpress" bit was for??

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ditto.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just to go off on a tangent, what about those incoming links and spam? I've seen odd sites show up in that box and when you go look, there's no link to your site. How do they get there anyway?

9. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've seen some dodgy ones too that don't seem to actually link back to my sites. If you do a 'view source' on the dodgy website and search the source for your domain name, you'll usually find the link buried deep in the page somewhere.

10. XIII
    Posted 17 years ago #

From what I've checked thusfar mine are always correct.
    Sometimes I can't find anything at first but then it turns out to be some genius hotlinking. And the occasional spam links which are remnants of my b2evolution days.

11. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm seeing a lot of dodgy ones currently. I never find the link though even with searching thru the code.

12. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

I presume, and I don't know either way, but the partner=wordpress bit is probably Wordpress being polite to Technorai so they can do some stats tracking, and in return for a useful service.

13. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's strange though that WP.com sends folks over to Google's Blogsearch instead of Tech but with the same partner bit.

Probably a two second hack of the code though to send them where every you want though. Or even include both.

14. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

Tried out the x-Dashboard by Matt Read to work around this but that failed miserably... it will add the x-Dashboard to the menus but when you click on it boom... (not soo bad though). Referring to missing wp-includes/rss-functions.php so it may work by copying the file (maybe files) from WP standalone!

Anyone tried it?

I'd really would like to remove the info and stuff for my 'future' users... can't have them bugging me about upgrading just because there's a new release (read:change management)!!

15. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

rss-functions.php is from the current stable release of WP. It's called rss.php now, so you could either bug Matt Read about it, or fix the dashboard yourself. I think it will work out-of-the-box in the same way as the old file.

16. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

oki.. will go ahead and check it out.. keep ya'll posted!

17. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

That works fine!!! BUT... it refuses to work in mu-plugins and there's nothing in the plugin itself that I can find (capable of actually) to change! It's all paramater based and no hard coded urls/uris!! Anyone knows which parameter (like $siteurl etc) that relates to the /plugins folder??

About this Topic