The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Allow admins to add new plugins (12 posts)

1. RyanGannon
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi, this is probably a newbee question but I can't find an answer after googling and searching here.

How do I allow admins of my "sub-blogs" to add new plug-ins specific to their blog?

As in, if I

1. login as an admin of mysite.com/test
    2. go to the dashboard
    3. click on Plugins

I don't see the "Add New" link.

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

You realize that's a major major major security risk, right? A hacker could upload code that would take over your entire site with ease.

Best bet would be for you to install the plugins yourself, enable the plugin page for your blog admins and let them pick and choose between them.

3. RyanGannon
    Posted 14 years ago #

What I mean is to have given blogs operate just the same as separate WordPress installations (the set-up I have now).

Besides blogs are only added by me.

4. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

See, the thing is that if blog admin A adds plugin X, he's not just adding it to blog A. He's adding it to your entire site. Now, he's not activating it everywhere. But, he is adding it everywhere. There isn't any built-in "plugins specific to this sub-blog" mechanism. Therefore, it's really wisest to only allow site admins to add plugins to the system - ones that have been carefully checked and cleared as safe for all users.

That being said, you might be able to use one of the role manager plugins to give blog admins the install_plugins capability....

5. RyanGannon
    Posted 14 years ago #

That's a really odd way of doing things. I thought the idea of MU was to have multiple blogs with the one installation. Is there no way of partitioning the blogs in a way that would achieve that?

6. error
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you want users to completely manage their own blogs to that level, you probably want WordPress rather than WordPress MU.

7. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ryan - the idea is to have multiple blogs with one install. It just happens that here should also be an omniscient being in charge of all those blogs.

8. RyanGannon
    Posted 14 years ago #

So there's no easy way to have this and if I can't hack a way around it I should just keep it the way I have it because you're really getting with MU is one WordPress blog and a load of not-quite-WordPress-blogs.

I can't be the only one who things this rather defeats the point of having MU at all.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

If the blogs are only added by you, then you can add the plugins the users need.

I'm assuming it's a closed system with reasonably trustworthy users. But, like was stated above, if a user adds a plugin, it is then available to ALL users. And some should really be tested before being used in MU.

Do you still want them to add plugins? :)

10. RyanGannon
    Posted 14 years ago #

andrea_r you get where I coming from but I want to host the blogs without being any god-like figure. And I would like to be able to have plug-ins added by the hosted only available to the hosted, what I actually don't understand is why each blog doesn't have it's own wp-content folder, that would be absolutely what I'm looking for.

11. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

You could probably hack this existing plugin to include the ability for blog admins to upload their own mu-plugins code:

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/site-based-mu-plugins

12. RyanGannon
    Posted 14 years ago #

Fantastic, thanks. Don't know why I didn't find this before.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by RyanGannon
  • Latest reply from RyanGannon