The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Replace main blog with Global Blog? (2 posts)

1. stealthfiction
    Posted 14 years ago #

On my test site I am using buddypress which sets the main blog to DOMAIN.com/BLOG

What I would like to do is set the main admin blog to a subdomain, something like news.domain.com and any posts that go on there, as well as any posts from the whole site populate the domain.com/blog?

Part of the reason I want to do this is because the domain I am going to be setting up MU on has a current standard WP site that has been running for a long time using domain.com/postnames. There are some pretty popular and heavily linked articles on that site. Now with this change, I am wanting to import that old blog to a subdomain in the mu installation. However, if i do that all the backlinks will get 404'd (as far as I know)

I couldn't find a way to preserve those old links except for the idea of replacing the new main blog with a global blog which will effectively just copy each of the posts.

If it helps, I can use MUdev premium's site indexer plugin, but I couldn't find any info on how to actually swap out the main blog with the info it collects..

Sorry to be so long winded, I just wanted to give as much info as I could.

Does anyone have any ideas, or plug in suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks guys/gals

2. stealthfiction
    Posted 14 years ago #

I hate to do this but I need to give it a bump hoping someone might see this and know how to do it.

If I figure it out I will post the solution here for others.

Thanks.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by stealthfiction
  • Latest reply from stealthfiction